Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby prefers one breast over the other why?

Question baby prefers one breast over the other why?

My baby is almost six months old and only nurses from my right breast and when I try to get her to nurse off the other one she gets upset. What would cause this and how can I get her to nurse from both of them?

Debra wife of scotty 6-18-97 and mother of son Christian 9-15-97, son Landon 9-21-99,son Jayden 7-9-02 and daughter Ashlyn Marie 11-12-05

Default Re: baby prefers one breast over the other why?

I am in the same situation, what sometimes works for me is that after feeding in a side lying position from the side she prefers and when she is a bit sleepy , I lean over and try to give her the 'not preferred breast'(so it is in exactly the same position as she was feeding in . When my DD was younger (she is 7 months now) the clutch hold worked for me so I figured out that this would be a similar position.

Also yesterday, I made her sit and she took some sips while sitting similar to the hip carry.

In the worst cases I just express from that side and try to feed that from a cup or sippy.

I think its a case of less supply on this side, when this side is a bit full and at night she sometimes drinks from here.

Hope something clicks soon for you,

mother to 3 beautiful daughters