Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: still exclusively breastfeeding at 10 1/2 months

Default still exclusively breastfeeding at 10 1/2 months

I am still exclusively breastfeeding my 10 1/2 month old baby and I was wondering if that is normal. It seems to be more difficult on my body to feed her exclusively at her age and I've been thinking about weaning her onto food but haven't yet. Is there any negative consequences from breastfeeding a baby exclusively at her age? Are there any risks on my health or her health? I've heard that most mothers have weaned their babies onto baby food by this age.

Default Re: still exclusively breastfeeding at 10 1/2 months

Hi! I have a friend who has four kids and breastfed them all exclusively for the first year, then she introduced solids. My daughter started getting little bits of solids at around eight months. It was only around 11 months that she was really "needing" the solids along with her breastmilk. Our doctor told us that at this age she needs to get nutrients from solids AND breastmilk. My personal advice is to just offer her some solids every so often and see if she wants them. However, just because you offer her solids doesn't mean you are "weaning her from breastmilk" (is that what you meant by using the term "weaning"?) , she will be able to enjoy the benefits of breastfeeding for much longer, even with solids added to her diet!!!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Good for you!!! I noticed my DS started gaining increasingly less with each month after his 6-month appointment (at that time he gained 400 g in 1.5 months) and my supply was strong at that time. He is just over 10 months now. So I started adding solids at 6 months. My friend had her baby at the same time that I did, and he reported a very similar story.

I've heard that some children have difficulty accepting solids if solids are delayed for too long. In addition, when you introduce solids you can't just go from zero to a lot; the first month or even 1.5 months you are just giving very small amounts to test allergies..., each food for 3-5 days - so it TAKES TIME! Something to think about.

Smile Re: still exclusively breastfeeding at 10 1/2 months

I have a friend of mine who has 7 children & has always allowed her children to lead the way on solids. Most of her children started around 8-10 months & only a little food (mashed from table, not jar), but didn't really start eating until 12months. And even then, they still nursed a lot. Our 7 month old DD is still exclusively BF. I really haven't given her anything, as she shows no interest & is very healthy & gaining plenty of weight.(at birth 8lbs. 15oz. & now 20lbs. 15oz.) I also still nurse our 19 month old DS & even though he eats solids, he still nurses a lot during the day & the solids that he does eat isn't a whole lot. Some days he really doesn't eat solids at all & just nurses & he is very healthy also. I don't push the solids as it seems they are both doing great health wise. I've also heard that if you wait too long to introduce solids that they won't eat very well. But, I've also heard that babies know when they need solids. I know what you mean by it being difficult on your body, as I tandem nurse & I must eat a lot to keep my well being up & drink a lot also. Hang in there, I think your baby will let you know when she's ready for solids. On the tough days, I just try to remember that this precious time in their life will pass so quickly & I try to cherish the moments-even the hard ones!

I'm having the opposite problem than kl200... My baby eats a lot of breastmilk and is chubby for her age. I feel like my body is having trouble balancing the nutrients. I was feeling weird the other day and I think I was having a vitamin deficeincy. I felt like passing out in the grocery store, I felt really dizzy and I've been eating a lot too to keep up with my baby's need for milk. I'm feeling a little better now that I'm taking more vitamin supplements.
    Last edited by mommapoo83; April 1st, 2006 at 05:53 PM.

I too get dizzy. But, I have reactive hypo-glycemia & have to take my pre-natal vitamins & I'm suppose to eat every 3 hours because my sugar drops dangerously low between 2-3 hours after eating. However, I found that 3 hours can sometimes be too long & that if I have a small snack every 1 1/2 - 2 hours, I feel much better. (No sugary foods, as that will make it worse.) It's very hard to find time to eat that much, & I occasionally have a major drop in my sugar, usually during or right after nursing. We were shopping on Friday & I hadn't eaten in awhile & I was trying to carry & nurse our DD & I got very light headed, started shaking, sweating & felt like I was going to be sick. (Also, my tongue feels weird during these times, as if you were testing a 9v battery on your tongue to see if it was good. KWIM?) I had to sit down for awhile while nursing our DD & then we had to hurry up & finish shopping so I could go home & eat. Maybe your have a similar situation? Just a thought. By the way, "reactive" hypo-glycemia means that if you go too long w/o eating then you eat, you have a reation to eating because it has been too long since you last ate. Sorry, can't explain it better. It is best to eat before you are hungry & regularly. Mornings are the worst since you don't eat all night. Sometimes I will get a quick snack at night or else I feel too yucky to sleep. Just wondering if any of this applies to you? My children nurse a lot also & are both big for their age but have been since birth & I produce a lot of milk for them & it can be very difficult on my body at times. Hope some of these thoughts might help you.