Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When is snacktime?

Default When is snacktime?

I keep reading that you should offer 2 snacks in addition to the 3 meals. When do you all have snacktime? My DS's schedule is:

6:30 wakes up and nurses
    8:00 breakfast
    10:00 nap until noon
    12:00 lunch
    1:30 nurses
    2:00 nap until 4:00
    5:30 dinner
    7-7:30 nurses before bed

Where do I fit in a snack? There just doesn't seem to be time. Maybe his meals are too big? DS was underweight for a while so when we started solids, we were urged to feed him until he was full and he eats quite a lot at mealtime.

I am ready to drop the afternoon nursing, so I'm wondering if I should push dinner back a bit and give him a snack after his nap (4-ish). Not sure what to do!

Default Re: When is snacktime?

You can give him a snack at 9:30am before his morning nap?

Where do I fit in a snack? There just doesn't seem to be time. Maybe his meals are too big? DS was underweight for a while so when we started solids, we were urged to feed him until he was full and he eats quite a lot at mealtime.
    Different kids have different metabolic needs, and no matter what publication you read, it won't be tailor made for your son. For instance, the Gerber people recommend a huge amount of solids for babies, and neither of my boys EVER ate as much in a sitting as they recommended....and both of them are healthy, and growing like little weeds.

I would say, that your schedule sounds like just what your son needs at this point. Do you ever notice that he seems hungry in between meals and naps? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If you want to offer a snack, try right when he wakes up from his nap at 4pm, that would still give you 1.5 hours before dinner time. If he really seems to need a snack then, do it every day. If he seems hungry later in the morning too, try a snack right before his nap like the pp mentioned. Or a snack right before bed if he seems hungry then.

My youngest son is one year, and a little over 2 weeks old, and he doesn't need snacks every day. It's really a case by case basis, as my oldest child(4 yrs) IS a snacker, so if he's having something and my youngest wants some too, I'll let him have some...if not, then no big deal, KWIM?

I agree with Mommie of 2.... I wouldn't worry too much about "fitting in" snacks. All the common literature out there pushes WAY too much food, IMO. Even my twins, who were FF and were good babyfood eaters, NEVER ate as much food as they tell you babies "should" be eating.

Listen to your baby. If your son seems hungry before mealtimes, then you might think about a snack. And I wouldn't worry about making the meals smaller, just so you can fit in a snack.

Lisa

Thanks for the replies, ladies. My DS is a total chowhound at mealtime, but I kept thinking that maybe I was missing something. It seems like he already does nothing but eat and sleep, because he's still napping twice a day - I barely clean up our mess after a meal before I have just a few minutes to play with him and it's naptime again!