Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help!Milk supply is low!

Unhappy need help!Milk supply is low!

My name is Alicia, I have a three month old son named Andrew who is completly breastfeed, last thursday I was in the hospital overnight with a bacterial stomach infection and was put on iv antibiotics (Flagyl,and Tequin), I was then instructed that i could not continue nursing my son until the antibiotics were finished which was set for ten days. When i was told this I pretty much freaked out because my son has really bad gastric reflux,Milk protien allergy. He sees a gastro doc every month and i was insructed to breastfeed only and eliminate all dairy out of my diet. So right off the bat i knew i could not continue the antibiotics and my primary instructed me to also stop for my son. Well i waited the 48 hours for the drugs to leave my system during that time i did pump and toss but somehow when i woke this morning to breastfeed my son for the first time i was shocked to see that my milk had nearly vanished. I basically am in need of a way to get it back agian. it is so strange i have always had a large milk supply my son eats every two hours still and is weighing 16 pounds already. I dont get it? I was vomiting and just started eating yesterday could that be the cause and will i ever get my milk back ? I feel so upset, I enjoy feeding my son and knowing that his reflux is under control partly because of my milk. What can i do to get it back? Also does anyone know where you can get a hospital grade pump on the weekends or if its even possiable? Thanks for any help regarding this issue.

Default Re: need help!Milk supply is low!

You'll get it back. Try not to worry Can I ask you though, what are you seeing that has you suspecting that your supply is low?

If you can, just get into bed with your baby and take a nursing vacation -- spend as much time in bed with him as you can just nursing, nursing, nursing. Drink to thirst and try your best to eat right. It should only take a day or two for your supply to get back to where it was. I suspect that if your low supply it is simply due to your recent illness.

I'm sorry that you have gone through this!

Default Re: need help!Milk supply is low!

Quote Originally Posted by miamimommy06
    My name is Alicia, I have a three month old son named Andrew who is completly breastfeed, last thursday I was in the hospital overnight with a bacterial stomach infection and was put on iv antibiotics (Flagyl,and Tequin), I was then instructed that i could not continue nursing my son until the antibiotics were finished which was set for ten days.
    Hi Miamommy
    When a mother is told that she cannot continue to nurse whilst taking a certain medication, she can ask her doctor what he would prescribe for her baby if he had that same condition. If it is safe for the baby to take, it is safe for the mother too
    Why not ask?

LLLnormaR