Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Mom - OALD leading to bad latch - so discouraged

Unhappy New Mom - OALD leading to bad latch - so discouraged

Hello,

My daughter is 2.5 weeks old and we have been trying to figure out what she is so gassy all the time. We went to see a Lactation Consultant who explained that I had an oversupply of milk and a fast let down. My little one has adapted her latch to press with her tongue against one side of the nipple, which moulds the nipple and is quite painful.

We have tried pumping a little off first, hand expressing, nursing her more on top of the breast to go against gravity. I am feeding her from one breast at a time and the same breast if she wants back with 2 hours. She still gets way too much too fast and ends up pulling off the breast, is very agitated and often spits up after feedings (sometimes 1.5 hours after). We are also trying to retrain the latch which makes her very angry.

I am really looking for advice as I am getting very discouraged. I guess I don't understand how this problem is every going to be fixed. Do you always have OALD or does that calm down? I was ready to give up on breastfeeding on the weekend but I am trying to stick with it. I am just looking for a glimmer of hope.

Heather

Talking Re: New Mom - OALD leading to bad latch - so discouraged

Hi, I have the same issue. My LO is almost 4 months now... it does get better but requires alot of patience and help..

check out this site... the positions DO help!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

good luck.. dont give up!!!!!!!!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Default Re: New Mom - OALD leading to bad latch - so discouraged

2 weeks is very young, Most moms find that at about 6-8 weeks their milk supply seams to even out, just in time for a growth spurt.
    Don't be afraid to call your local LLL leader she can help.
    most babies are very gassy also.
    does she cry alot?
    dr sears has good info on his web site about fussy babies
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

Hello and Welcome,

All the things you are trying should help, but it can take some time. You are sending your body the message that it doesn't need to make quite so much milk. Your baby is very young yet and as she grows she will be able to manage the fast flow better.

Hang in there, and let us know what we can do to support you.

Tiana

I just wanted to say hang in there, it will get better with time. I have the same problem and one of my twins couldn't deal with it well, we had projectile spitups, painful gas and lots of crying at the breast until about 8 wks. I tried all those techniques but the only things that worked for me was taking her off when I felt the letdown (very frustrating when it happens 5 times, but at least she stopped being scared of the breast) and when I knew I was engorged pumping for 5min beforehand. My OALD has not gone away, but I've trained both of them to take themselves off if they can't handle the flow. Just the past week, at 10wks, they are both eating through the let down and get POd if I take them off! On the upside, both my babies were 10th percentile at 4wks and jumped to 50th and 75th percentile by 2 months, you probably won't have any trouble with weight gain.

I have the same problem with my 3 week old...don't know if I have the patience for this or not....bc it doesn't seem to be progressing at all...and I don't know if I want to deal with this forever...I can't get anything done...cause it takes so long for him to eat...stopping and starting and fighting....then he wants to eat again.

If you keep taking your lo off when you feel the letdown he will learn in a couple weeks to trust that you'll take care of it or voluntarily take himself off till you put him back on, and when he's strong enough he'll just eat through it. It takes A LOT of patience, but it will get better. Have you taken steps to get your milk supply down? I still pump for 5min before feeding if I know I'm very full to make it easier on my twins, but otherwise they can handle it.