Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help ready to cry!

Unhappy please help ready to cry!

ugh! i am soooooo frustrated!!!!!!!! dd has started eating solids twice daily now and ever since then she hasn't been wanting to nurse as much..she usually does 6xdaily every 3hrs...she will only nurse from both sides in a matter of seven min. and then push away and be done..along with her solids she is having maybe 2oz of water a day..and whats really bothering me is that her diapers are never wet as they use to be..she isn't showing signs of dehydration and is acting perfectly normal thoughout the day and meeting milestones..please help, what can i do!!!

by the way she is 8months old...

Default Re: please help ready to cry!

i am no expert, but my DS does the same thing. He is the same age as your DD. I am told that this is normal and that they'll snack like that. (Mine never does 7min that would be really long). haha. Anyhow as long as she seems fine. What i do is I stopped watching the clock and just try to offer more often to try to get him as much as possible and also not to lose my supply. HTH

thank you for your reply! how about the wet diapers? should i be really concerned?

FWIW, my DS did the same exact thing at 8 months. He can't be "bothered" to sit still and nurse! A sickly, dehydrated baby will not act normal and meet milestones. I'd keep offering, but try try try not to worry. They do get past it, I promise.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

It does sound like your baby's doing ok. How are the bowel movements?
    If you are concerned about water intake, you could give baby fruits (some have high water content) like watermelon. My son (10 months) takes about 4-5 oz of water a day. I just keep offering him sips throughout the day. HTH.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

My daughter is almost 10 mo. and doing the same thing. I have been pumping to keep up my supply because she is not eating as much as she used to at all. Her output still appears fine, and she is a happy alert baby. Actually the times that she eats the most is when she wakes up at night.

hi ladies thank you so much for your input! are your dcs wet diapers good? hers isn't nearly as heavy as they should be..i am sorry to keep asking the same question...her bms are fine..every other day and soft..thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianMom2Bella View Post
    ugh! i am soooooo frustrated!!!!!!!! dd has started eating solids twice daily now and ever since then she hasn't been wanting to nurse as much..she usually does 6xdaily every 3hrs...she will only nurse from both sides in a matter of seven min. and then push away and be done..along with her solids she is having maybe 2oz of water a day..and whats really bothering me is that her diapers are never wet as they use to be..she isn't showing signs of dehydration and is acting perfectly normal thoughout the day and meeting milestones..please help, what can i do!!!

by the way she is 8months old...
    Hi,
    I was noticing that you are giving water to your child.If you are breastfeding full time perhaps the water isn't needed.Water will fill her stomach up as her stomach is very small.Why not just continue to use the breast milk as her form of liquids?How much solids are you giving?I am following a naturopath for weaning and they say that from 6-9 months the child only needs 1-2tbsp per day of food and that the majority of the food should come from breast or bottle.The amount then increases to 2-4tbsp from 9-12 months.Naturopaths are heavily trained in nutrtion.It might be that she is getting too much in the way of solids.Just some thoughts.Good Luck

Well, my ds's diapers seem to be really light too..I wonder if that is normal to see a decrease in wet diapers when you start solids? Also, my ds drools up a storm, so I am assuming that more drool= less urine. He eats every two hours for about 10-15 minutes and still has not much diaper output (he has perhaps 4-5 wets per day, but only the first two are heavy, the others are barely wet at all). He does not seem hungry after he eats though and is really active, so I *think* he's okay. We're going for his 9-month appt. on Friday, so I guess I'll find out how his weight gain has been.

Angela

Hi ladies, you are all very helpful!

Anjel- I give dd about 4-5tbsp of food twice a day..She eats it all up and always seems like she wants more..she loves her veggies and fruit..The water that she gets offered in the sippy cup, she tends to play with more then consume..its really just practicing..but maybe i will cut back on some solids and see how that goes..thanks again!

Angela-Your dc sounds just like mine..she also drools a ton and always has wet diapers just not many heavy ones. If you could update me with how his appt. goes and maybe then it will help ease my mind ..my dd doesn't go for hers until the end of this month..gl!