Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: thumbsucking

Default thumbsucking

ok, it's me again. this time i want to know who's in favor of thumbsucking, because I AM. i bf my 2 mo old exclusively, but sometimes he just wants to suck, and honestly it makes me nuts after a while. i'd like to get up and do something else! and he has turned his nose up at just about every paci i've tried. SOMEtimes he likes the soothie we got in the hospital, but he doesn;t hold onto it himself, so that defeats most of the purpose of it. he does, however, love to suck on his fist, and every so often he gets his thumb and forefinger in there, but makes a face and pulls them out, then sticks the whole fist in again. he has conked out while doing that, but while also being walked and/or rocked and/or hummed to... so bottom line, i'm planning to encourage the thumb/finger sucking as a self-soothing method.

opinions, options? if your LO takes a paci, which one?
    Last edited by aidan's mama; April 3rd, 2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: thumbsucking

My DD is eight weeks and loves to suck as well. She likes the nuk pacifiers. She also has been trying really hard to get her thumb in her mouth. She can usually get a finger or two in there and will lick her fist, but has never fallen asleep doing it. I am in favor of it, because like you siad the paci will fallout and at this point she can't put it back in herself. I can't wait til she can put herself back to sleep at night by thumbsucking instead of my having to put the paci back in! I was a thumb sucker and am no worse for the wear!

We use the MAM pacifiers and my son likes them. I will say, when he was your baby's age he didn't do well keeping it in his mouth and I feel like I was the one who wanted him to have it more than he wanted it. If you keep giving it to them, they eventually will be able to keep it in their mouth better.

Now I wish I had never introduced it but at the time I had thrush and so much nipple pain I couldn't let him use me. He does suck his thumb but won't take it when I'm trying to rock him to sleep so for now we're dependent on the pacifier for naps and night.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Jacob is 3w 1d and has already located his thumb. I know that in the long run this could be MUCH harder to wean him of but if that is what currently makes him happy and I'm with you ladies NO paci seems to be doing the trick - I think it's that he can't hold on to it, and by the time he can what will be the point of introducing it right? I'm going to let him use his thumb, fingers, fist what ever helps to sooth him. I too can't be a human paci all the time, it's hard enought eating every 2hrs!

I think if he want to suck his hands/fist let him. He's learning to self soothe and that is fantastic. At least if he sucks on his hands/fist you will never have to worry about losing it and frantically searching for a missing paci, going to the mart looking for the right one only to find that they are out. That is my opinion.
    I didn't care for the paci they gave me at the hosptial. I wouldn't let my newest LO take it. When my daughter was a baby, she got attached to her hospital paci and when it wore out, or we lost it we couldn't get a replacement and she was so upset. I really like the NUK if your going to use one and they seem to be sold everywhere.

BRAVO!!!! My son was colicky for the first 3 months and would NOT take any pacifiers... I tried so many different ones. Within the past month, he started sucking his thumb and hands ( maybe teething).. but it has been the greatest discovery EVER! He is soothing himself and it is WONDERFUL! My mother in law and some others try to discourage him afraid that it will mess up his non-existent teeth... i tell them to leave him be, he is only 4 months and I LOVE IT! Not only is it beneficial for my sanity, but it is soooo incredibly CUTE!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

We used the avent pacifiers with our daughter after she stopped reliably falling asleep while nursing. We'd rock her to sleep with the pacifier. She sucked on her hands from day one and always seemed to be trying to soothe herself but couldn't get a good suction going. Then at around 3 months she learned to find her thumb. She immediately rejected the pacifier and hasn't taken one since. She now soothes herself to sleep with it. It's great. I think right now it's a very healthy thing for her to do. We'll worry about it as a bad habit if she's still doing it a lot when she's much, much older.