Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding, Ideas??

Default Wedding, Ideas??

Okay, so I am at my first real dilemma Ithink..... I am a bridesmaid in a wedding next month. I plan on nursing her before I get my hair and stuff done, and hubby will take her in some shops near the slaon, and before I get in my dress, and there is a sitter at the church for the wedding, the reception we are on our own, which isnt a big deal, hubby will be there, but my problem I guess is, how the heck I am supposed to feed her? The reception is one big room, only small rooms are 2 bathrooms and a kitchen "prep" area. Should I plan on taking her to the car since the dress isn't BF compatible? or should I think about taking some bottles, and just nurse before the wedding and before the reception? I don't knowif it will be easier to heat a EBM bottle or leave the reception to half strip just to nurse?! I don't want to risk losing any supply either if that makes sense?

What do you think would be the easiest?

Do you know of any good "dress" nursing bras? I havent seen any, you know the ones that hold it all in, and make it look like I don't have a baby pouch or just wear a normal one?

But I guess if this is really the first of my bf problems I shouldnt complain

Default Re: Wedding, Ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by MoonicaLeigh View Post
    Okay, so I am at my first real dilemma Ithink..... I am a bridesmaid in a wedding next month. I plan on nursing her before I get my hair and stuff done, and hubby will take her in some shops near the slaon, and before I get in my dress, and there is a sitter at the church for the wedding, the reception we are on our own, which isnt a big deal, hubby will be there, but my problem I guess is, how the heck I am supposed to feed her? The reception is one big room, only small rooms are 2 bathrooms and a kitchen "prep" area. Should I plan on taking her to the car since the dress isn't BF compatible? or should I think about taking some bottles, and just nurse before the wedding and before the reception? I don't knowif it will be easier to heat a EBM bottle or leave the reception to half strip just to nurse?! I don't want to risk losing any supply either if that makes sense?

What do you think would be the easiest?

Do you know of any good "dress" nursing bras? I havent seen any, you know the ones that hold it all in, and make it look like I don't have a baby pouch or just wear a normal one?

But I guess if this is really the first of my bf problems I shouldnt complain
    What about option #3, ask the bride if she minds if you change into a BF friendly dress after the wedding and the reception. The formal pics should be done at that point, and if you get a nice dress in a similar color, I can't see why she would object.
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed
    Mommy to Ada Grace (7-7-06) 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 lbs 14 oz at 1 year

Our little Angel, Henry James, grew his wings December 14, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by justin's mama View Post
    What about option #3, ask the bride if she minds if you change into a BF friendly dress after the wedding and the reception. The formal pics should be done at that point, and if you get a nice dress in a similar color, I can't see why she would object.
    That is a great idea.

I usually go to my car to nurse. I bring my boppy pillow and listen to the radio. I find it more comfortable than trying to hide when around people. I am trying to get more comfortable nursing in public, but its hard.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I am in a wedding in June and am having the same sort of anxiety, mostly because the bride has not been very momma/baby/breastfeeding friendly (I am standing up for the groom.) I am also in the market for a "dress" nursing bra, with the added bonus that it must be a strapless dress nursing bra. Any and all suggestions are BEYOND welcome!!!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Maybe you could ask the manager if there is an office you could use?

Also, a lot of reception halls have what's called a "bride's room". Where the bride can go to freshen up and "hide" from the guests for a few minutes. You may want to ask the bride if they have offered her that amenity and if you can borrow the room.
    Benjamin 07/13/06
    Brooklynne 07/14/09

I used the bridal suite. Especially being in the party, you should have access to it anyway. And I just took my dress off to do it - mine was strapless so I just folded it down and didn't wear a bra (those darn things are so tight anyway). I would just lock the door, bring my husband with me to help and do the best I could. Good luck and enjoy the wedding!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

It's very good you're thinking about all of this now. I don't want to worry you more but I have a friend who wore a "bad" dress to a wedding (she wasn't even in it!) and got a plugged duct from not nursing for too long. You have lots of great ideas here- hope one of them works for you.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I am in my sisters wedding in less than two weeks and am having the same concerns. Of course she picked a dress that would fall off completely if i tried to nurse her in it. So here is what i plan on doing. I am going to leave bottles for my LO when i go to the hair, and dressing sessions. Then, I am taking my pump everywhere i go (and if need be in the car). At the reception (of course the country club doesn't take babies under 1 year and DD is only 5 months) I am changing clothes and wearing a much more nursing friendly dress as the PP said. and we are going to duck out early because it would be too much dealing with her schedule break.

Thanks these are some great ideas, I am searching the net now for a light green nursing dress =( Not having much luck though, unfortunately the reception is at this place called THe Barn, and it's just one big room with bathrooms, no foyer, no bridesroom =( My pump will definately be going everywhere with me! =o) I think the key is to find something to change into, the dress for the wedding is good, but I would have to undress to nurse LOL

This is going to be a FUN trip! hehehe I am also making the grooms cake the day of the rehearsal and dinner but I am glad that we agreed that since I would have the little one I could bow out gracefully from doing the wedding cake (which was going to be my gift to her, but now I am SO glad we decided against it) LOL We had decided I would do the cake WAY before I got prego LOL

Thanks again everyone,a nd good luck to your wedding adventures too!

I am also in a wedding in July, and wondering about the whole breast feeding with a nice dress on. Lucky for me the bride has 6 kids of her own already, and is also a breast feeding mommy! lol. I don't even know what our dresses look like yet, or what color. I know hubby will probably be there to help with our two year old, so I'm not worried about that. Good luck with the wedding!