Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleeping arrangements

Default sleeping arrangements

i realize that this has been touched on in various threads, but i didn't see one thread dedicated to how and where our babies are sleeping. i thought it would be helpful to swap ideas, whether they relate directly to breastfeeding or not, about our LOs' sleep habits.

i have a 2 month old boy and we're primarily co-sleeping, esp at night, tho not always in bed. sometimes he & i both fall asleep on the chair and a half in our bedroom, with him on my chest or in the crook of my arm. i do try to put him down for naps, tho! he prefers his belly most of the time so i do let him nap that way, either in his portacrib near the living room, or in his crib in his nursery, & sometimes on my bed, surrounded (at a safe distance) by pillows to prevent falls. and of course i check on him frequently.

but the times and duration of naps varies wildly, still. anyone else performing a similar dance? i'm trying to get into more of a routine so that he won't have troubles with the sitter or his daddy after i go back to work in two months (part time).

and if anyone's LO is actually able to fall asleep on their own (not at the breast or while being rocked), i'd be interested to know how/when/where, also.

Default Re: sleeping arrangements

my ds is now 5 months.
    up till 3 months he slept in a moses basket beside our bed. at about 3.5 mo we moved him to a cot at the side of our bed.
    he sleeps alone...it's all he's known xcept for the last early morning feed which he gets in bed with me.
    he is up 07:30 then naps are usually approx 09:30 1 hr in cot, 13:00 1 hr in cot, 16:30 1/2 hr in cot/bouncy chair. I don't actually wake him up, its just what he likes to do.he goes to bed at 20:00 and gets 3-4 feeds over night.
    nap times I feed him about 20mins before putting him down. he is sleepy but awake. I put him in the cot and play his mobile sometimes he needs a PACI. he usually falls asleep in 5 mins happily watching his animals spin on the mobile.
    night time he usually feeds to the very last minute and is half asleep by the time he is in his cot.

My DD is eight weeks and I feel like we are int he same predicament...She usually only naps in her swing. She wakes up at 7:30 or 8, takes a little catnap (30-45 minutes) inthe swing about 90 minutes after she gets up...then eats again, then another catnap around 12, then eats again and usaually takes a long nap (about 2 hours, sometime 2.5) around 2 or 3 pm. then eats again and sometimes stays awake until 7, other times takes another 30 minute nap. She goes down for the night (in her swing) around 7 or 7:30 and I wake her to eat around 9:30 or 10, then put her, half asleep in her basinet, she eats again at 2 and 4:30 and goes back to sleep in her basinet, then she is usually up at six and I put her in bed with me and we sleep together for the morning. She doesn't put herself to sleep, I am also interested in how to help them learn to do this, but I think our LO's may still be too young to do this. Long story shor, all her naps are in the swing, and she is in her own bed at night...

My LO is 9 weeks and I just started a routine (recommended by the Baby Whisperer, Tracy Hogg) So far he has been taking 45- 2hr naps 40 minutes after feeding. I use the shushing, patting on back technique which she recommends and hefalls asleep. Before he's really sleepy I swaddle him and pat him a little more. She notes that it takes babies about 20 minutes to fall into deep sleep which appears true. I'm just guessing that as he gets bigger he'll learn to soothe himself. I've been putting him in his papysan, since he has a stuffy nose and can't be flat on his back too long. But I put the paysan in his co-sleeper so he doesn't forget to go back there when he's feeling better. At night he starts off in the co-sleeper than for the wee hour feedings I nurse him in bed, since I need my rest.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

We co-sleep with our 9 month old and always have since we brought her home from the hospital. It's the only way she'd ever sleep when she was a newborn, but now she'll sleep about 3-4 hours in her own bed in our room if my husband and I need some alone time at first and then I bring her in bed with us when she wakes up. For naptimes she will not sleep by herself so I usually just nap with her or lay on the couch with her and watch TV while she naps. The only way she will sleep without nursing to sleep is if she's in her carseat in the car or in her mei tie. I guess those would count as rocking to sleep.

Everyone always acts like her sleeping with my husband and I and not going down by herself for a nap is a big problem. It's really annoying sometimes how mothers of "perfect" babies whom are just so "good" and sleep by themselves all night always try to give me advice and tips on how I can get my DD to be like their baby Co-sleeping works for us and my husband really loves it. He's gone at work all day so he uses cuddling with her at night as a way to bond since he misses most of the daytime hours with her. Anyways, I say just do what's right for your family and listen to your baby's needs.
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

we havea baby hammock that has worked out ok. ds is 9 weeks.....imnot sure we have a shedule with our first i slept when he slept also

Our son is now 14 weeks old, and he has been co-sleeping with us since the first night he was born. My husband was hesitant about the idea at first, but we came up with a system where we put him in between us with a rolled up towel on either side of him. This helps us sleep knowing we won't roll on him, and knowing he won't roll himself. We also swaddled him at night up until 12 weeks when his hands didn't wake him up anymore. We all sleep better in the same bed.

He goes to bed around 9-9:30pm and sleeps until about 3 or 4am. He eats, stays pretty drowsy and goes right back to sleep. I do this feeding in a chair next to the bed because if I lie with him to feed, he's too comfortable and falls right to sleep without getting a full feed. He sleeps again until 7:30am and usually naps around 9am, 2 or 3pm, and 5pm-ish.

I post the above "schedule" with a disclaimer that every day is different! Some days are great sleep days, and other days he will only take 20-30 minute cat naps all day. I have him take daytime naps in our bed as well. On days when he doesn't want to sleep on his own, I just put him in the sling and wear him for his nap. The sling has been a surefire winner with this kid!

I'm counting on the philosophy that as long as he seems to want my closeness to be able to fall asleep, he can have it. At some point, I'm hoping he will feel confident and secure to sleep on his own.

My LO is 7 weeks and I also used the tips in the Baby Whisperer. It took her about 2 nights to get use to sleeping on her own (before that, she was co-sleeping w/us). Now she sleeps for 5 hours at night and DH and I get a deeper sleep. But we still really miss her sleeping with us. I nap with her in my bed and on the weekends we all nap together in one bed. We have the best of both worlds

Quote Originally Posted by nywifey View Post
    My LO is 9 weeks and I just started a routine (recommended by the Baby Whisperer, Tracy Hogg) So far he has been taking 45- 2hr naps 40 minutes after feeding. I use the shushing, patting on back technique which she recommends and hefalls asleep. Before he's really sleepy I swaddle him and pat him a little more. She notes that it takes babies about 20 minutes to fall into deep sleep which appears true. I'm just guessing that as he gets bigger he'll learn to soothe himself. I've been putting him in his papysan, since he has a stuffy nose and can't be flat on his back too long. But I put the paysan in his co-sleeper so he doesn't forget to go back there when he's feeling better. At night he starts off in the co-sleeper than for the wee hour feedings I nurse him in bed, since I need my rest.
    I love "The Baby Whisperer" I would recommend that book to everyone. It has become my Bible since LO was born

I have a 5 month old, and for the past month or so he's had a pretty predictable schedule. He's slept in a bassinet until 6 weeks, and then moved to his crib down the hall. It's really helped my husband and I to get a deeper sleep. When he was in the room with me I woke at every little noise and was exhausted.

Anyway, now he has cereal at around 7:00, bath and nurse at around 8:00, then off to bed. He's been sleeping straight through to 3 or 4, then nurses a little then back to sleep for a couple more hours. There have been a couple of nights when he fought sleep, but I just put him in his crib, turn on the Sleep Sheep and leave the room. He doesn't fuss, just lays there and plays for about 10 minutes. Then he's out.