Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Side lying nursing question....

Default Side lying nursing question....

I've been using side lying nursing in the early am hours and I really like it...although I've had to limit it since my LO has a stuffy nose.

Once I latch him, I don't worry about how long he's been on since I just judge by the fullness of my breast and switch to the other if I feel he's looking for more. After some time, I just hear sucking but not swallowing and he begins to move around a lot as if he were fighting sleep. Does this happen to you? I figure it's normal since once done eating he unlike me may be awake for a little while then tries to the soothe himself to get to sleep. I just wish he settled a little quicker since his moving around keeps me up!
    Last edited by nywifey; April 3rd, 2007 at 07:44 AM.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Side lying nursing question....

Oh, yes...it does! We use the side lying position during the night, alot of times she'll nurse for a minute or two, kind of dose, and then squirm and wiggle (wack me in the face a couple of times), kind of suck but not really, just make the motion with her mouth (like you said, no swallowing), and then finally she'll dose off.

It sounds normal to me!

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

oh good to hear a part of me wants to laugh when I see him moving so much..it's as if my boob is so good that he's all over it..with his hands and mouth.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I often have to gently hold my DD's arm or leg still. I think it helps her fall asleep faster. If I let her kick and flail, she'll get herself all worked up. I just rest my hand on her leg or arm very gently. Then she can relax.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006