Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overwhelmed with thrush info!

Default Overwhelmed with thrush info!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]I have been battlling pain while bf since day one, my dd is now 5 months and I think I might have thrush. The numer one problem being I have no insurance, my dd has, but I don't. There is so much info out there on what to do, I just don't know where to start. I also have a 2 year old ds and what I've read is a lot more work than I think I can handle. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to stop, but the pain is just getting to be too much.

Vicky

Default Re: Overwhelmed with thrush info!

im sorry i dont have any experience with thrush but i sure hope someone can give you some good info... it was painful for me at first ,he wasnt latching on right, (have you ruled that out?) and i was miserable! so im just amazed that you are still going after five months!! i really hope it works out for you...

If you take dd to the doctor and ahve them check for thrush they may be able to write the prescription for your cream in her name. We were in the same boat, DS has insurance but I don't, I took him to the doctor even though he didn't have any symptoms, but I did and the doctor wrote our meds in DS's name. Also if you get nystatin cream from the doctor it isn't TOO expensive, but I know first hand about not having the money to pay for meds.

One of the other mama's on here gave me this link when I was trying to figure out if I had thrush or not:
    Thrus Resources

HTH, Feel better mama!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

When I was battling thrush with my 3rd LO my doctor reccomended genetian violet. You don't need a prescription and it is available over the counter. You may need to ask the pharmacist for it as it is not always kept in stock.

If your lo is prescribed Nystatin liquid, you can put that on your nipples to fight the infection there. Do it before a feed, the rinse afterward with vinegar water. Also wash your bras and baby's clothes in hot water with some vinegar added. It might take a while, but it will go away. Use the Nystatin regularly and don't skip applications for the baby- it has to stay on to work (you can leave it on your nipples, but it's really sticky and messy, that's why I recommended rinsing). Oh, and stay topless as much as possible, it really helps. If you can expose your nipples to the sun, do that too for a few minutes each day.

Good luck!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I am prone to thrush and just today picked up a course of diflucan pills. Sometimes its really hard to kick it so you need the strong stuff. You can temporarily get relief but usually it comes right back.

I called in for a prescription wihtout seeing the doctor. Helps save a few bucks that way.

Avoid sweets if you can...thrush feeds on sugar.

I have started to use APNO, is this enough? Most of the pain is mostly on the tip of the nipple. Could this be thrush, with no other symptoms? I think I'm also gonna try the genetian violet and acidopholous (I think thats how you spell it)
    Soes anyone have any suggestions for the pain until the meds take effect. Or should I just grin and bear it until they take effect. Hopefully they will work fast.
    Thank you to everyone for their advice and any future advice!

Vicky