Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: frozen vs fresh

Default frozen vs fresh

Ok i have a question, how come everything i've read says to only combine fresh milk for 24 hrs, but you can add cooled milk to already frozen milk even if it's from a different day? this doesn't make much sense to me. I know these are just guidelines, and i put different days milk together in the fridge, and it seemed fine before (i don't any more). also, you moms that are using the ice cube trays, what are you defrosting the milk in? do the cubes fit into a bottle? is that safe, knowing that some plastics (ex:from ice cube tray) leach into foods? (yes, i know baby bottles are plastic, but supposedly they are safe, no pvp or whatever) just wondering. thanks!

Default Re: frozen vs fresh

Quote Originally Posted by dcnsluvinmama
    Ok i have a question, how come everything i've read says to only combine fresh milk for 24 hrs, but you can add cooled milk to already frozen milk even if it's from a different day? this doesn't make much sense to me. I know these are just guidelines, and i put different days milk together in the fridge, and it seemed fine before (i don't any more).
    The 24 hour recommendation is based on a study, which I don't have in front of me at this time. I can look it up for you, if you'd like. A note about adding to frozen: You still need to go by the age of the oldest milk when determining how well the milk will hold up in storage.

Quote Originally Posted by dcnsluvinmama
    also, you moms that are using the ice cube trays, what are you defrosting the milk in? do the cubes fit into a bottle? is that safe, knowing that some plastics (ex:from ice cube tray) leach into foods? (yes, i know baby bottles are plastic, but supposedly they are safe, no pvp or whatever) just wondering. thanks!
    You can defrost the milk in milk storage bags, bottles, or even a clean coffee cup. There are at least two companies that now make food grade plastic "ice cube trays" for breastmilk and baby food storage. If you want to use the cube method of storage, you could look for one of these products (they even come with lids!). Also, if the plastic type was a concern, you could remove the cubes from the tray (when frozen) and put them in a different container.