Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: good food/bad food

Default good food/bad food

I know that there are foods that increase your supply, but are there foods I should be avoiding, that would decrease my supply? I ask because this afternoon my LO was hungry and I put her on and she cried and cried, she would latch for a few seconds then come off, then go on and repeat...so I switched sides to see if she wanted the other side instead...same thing....finally my mom gave her a bottle of pumped milk and i thought she wasn't latching bc she was really tired, but then I pumped and I got about half as much as I normally do from one side, and hardly anything from the other. Ipumped for about twenty minutes on each side (my DD usually only eats for about ten on one side each feeding..she's very effecient!)...so i am wondering wwhat's going on. I just fed her again, and she cried at first but then latched on and ate for about twenty minutes on one side...was this just a fluke thing or should I be worried? Oh yeah, she is only two months old...

Default Re: good food/bad food

I don't know about any food that specificaly decreases supply, but I do know that I have to avoid some things like broccoli that upset her tummy..... she won't eat if she is feeling yucky from her last feeding. I too have had times where I'll pump and not get as much once in awhile. I think it's a fluke and has more to do with how long it's been since the last feeding....i.e. how much time I've had to build a supply in that particular breast. I'd just keep an eye on things but not be worried.

It sounds like you may be dealing with over active let down (OALD) or possibly infant acid reflux (GER) or a combination. Here are some links that you can peruse to see if they sound like what you've experienced:

Forceful letdown and oversupply
    Overactive Letdown Reflex
    Symptoms of Infant GER

I know it sounds counterintuitive considering what you posted, but it may be the case. It's hard to tell what you're producing when you pump because a pump will never remove as much milk from the breast as a baby will. So even though you didn't get anything from one of your breasts, it isn't indicative of what you have. I had OALD and a slight oversupply, but when I'd pump I was lucky to get 1-2 ounces

Also, though it is a commonly held belief, gassy foods do not cause gas in the breastfed baby. There are some food proteins, like those in milk and peanuts, that pass directly into mother's milk, but foods like broccoli and cabbage cause gas because they react with enzymes in our colons. This causes gas in us but not in our LOs To read more about this, follow this link:

Gassy foods and baby

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by @llli*evin; April 2nd, 2007 at 10:07 PM.

My DS was doing this recently. He is teething. I can see two white spots and his gums are swollen. His bottom teeth are just about out. I have to put his Hylands teething gel on his gums wait a minute then he eats. If I don't put the gel he latches for a second and the cries and arches hes back and pushes me away. DS is an efficient nurser like your DD and I can't pump even an ounce.
    Amanda Wife to my wonderful husband 06_98
    Breastfeeding, Sling Wearing, Co-sleeping, Cloth Diapering Mom to my Intact Boys
    DS #1 - 02_02 BF'ed for 9 Months and
    DS #2 - 10_06 Currently BF'ed 22 Months and still going.

Well everything was fine the next time I nursed her. She fussed a little at first and then she went to town as usual. I think she is too young to be teething yet, she is only eight weeks (that is toosoon right?). I am wondering if I had OALD and now it is slower and so she is frustrated that the milk is taking a little longer to let down? What worried me about the pumping was that normally when I pump I am able to get like 3 oz in five minutes, so it was wierd that all of a sudden I wasn't getting anything...I am just trying to rest today and drink lots of water and tea, hopefully it was just a fluke, but I am going to check out all the links that were posted as well! Thanks so much!

might just be a weird baby thing that your not going to be able to figure out, sometimes they will just have days when they fuss.
    You havn't changed anything? Sometimes babies will refuse to nurse if you smell funny or change soap.

I just looked at some of the links and when I feed her sometimes she does come off and cough or gag, but when she does that my milk isn't "spraying" as described in forceful or overactive let down...also since she was only really crying and screaming that one time, that would indicate that it isn't reflux, right, if it was wouldn't this be happening more often? Thanks everyone in advance!

Evin, great information!!! THANKS A LOT!!

I know sage is often used when people want to dry up their milk supply, so that's something to stay away from, according to my LC. Don't know about anything else though. Good luck and