Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 week old baby and pumping

Unhappy 2 week old baby and pumping

Greetings! I have a newborn little girl. We had a VERY difficult time with her latching on in the hospital and shortly after getting home - it was incredibly painful for me, she wasn't seeming to eat much and had a lot of gas. In my frustration, I switched to pumping and feeding her breastmilk by bottle. Her sleeping improved, fussiness diminished a ton, and she is much happier.

I'm wondering how pumping is going to affect my milk supply and her. Should I try breastfeeding again or stick with the bottle? Starting today, I noticed my breasts aren't getting quite as engorged and solid, or producing as much milk as the end of last week. I'm trying not to worry, but these questions still sit in the back of my head. Words of advice?

Default Re: 2 week old baby and pumping

I think you should keep trying the BF.

Have you been to a lactation consultant? They can help so much!

Also, I wouldn't worry about the engorgement issue. If you're pumping regularly, I'm guessing your supply is responding to the regularity.

Good luck...

I was exactly in your shoes with my newborn months ago. It was so painful but what I didn't realize is that the early weeks are CRITICAL for establishing breastfeeding. Not just teaching your baby how to latch but there are prolactin receptors that are formed and something is permanently set in your body in these early weeks. Its a whole lot harder to overcome a bad start later on.

I would say run to get help asap cuz it will be tons easier later on. Two weeks is still early enough to fix things.

Read, read, read and go to a LLL mtg.... I saw 4 LCs and they didn't really help too much. You really have to help yourself first.

Forever stuck pumping.

I had the same problem with my LO. I tried for 5 days to get BF to work for us while we were in the hospital (saw numerous LCs and nurses for help), but it was painful and didn't work out. I ended up pumping exclusively and have been doing so for almost 6 weeks now. Just last week, I tried nursing again for 2 days and he latched on with no problem, but it was painful for me (I have flat nipples and LO has a very high palate). I have decided to stick with pumping exclusively now. I get 7-9 oz every time I pump (LO eats 3 oz every 2-3 hrs). To get my supply, I pumped every 2-3 hours every day for the first 3-4 weeks and now I pump every 4-5 hrs. My suggestion to you is to pump as often as possible to get your supply going (that's what they kept telling me at the hospital -- pump, pump, pump in the beginning as much as you can so your breasts will produce more milk). Good luck!

My advice about a lactation consultant is to find an independent one that is not affiliated with the hospitals....... My LC works at the local free standing birth center. Everyone I know who goes to a hospital LC gets told to supplement with formula! I had a really hard time my first two days too.... baby brought blood blisters to the surface on her first feeding! Turns out that my nipples liked to invert when she tried to latch....so she had an impossible time trying to latch properly! The LC set me up with breast shells to help bring my nipples out, and a nipple shield to use for two days while my nippies healed up. Nipple shield helped baby get latched because she wasn't able to get enough of the areola far enough into her mouth.....things straightened out and now at 5 weeks she nurses like a pro. I do know that we could not have done it on out own..... I'm a first time mom, and I tend to read and study alot so I thought I was prepared for everything.... I had to realize that help is not a bad thing.