Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: looking for suggestions about nite time feeding

Default looking for suggestions about nite time feeding

I am just wondering what other moms do with their babies at night when they just want to comfor suck, but get mad when milk comes out. It is a never ending cycle, or so it seems. My son nurses for nourisment and then he wants to go to sleep but he wants to keep nursing which leads to more milk coming out. My husband says thier are only a few options...which I agree 1. nurse and put up with his fussiness...needing to be burped, crying at breast etc. until my milk supply regulates or he stops wanting to comfort nurse which could be awhile 2. pascifier....very tempted 3. sucking on my finger. My son is only a couple of weeks old, but it has been my experience with my other two children that this does not go away for a few months. I tend to have a lot of milk for a very long time. The pascifier option seems to be the only one that is going to get me any more sleep. I know this is a very common problem...and am just wondering what other moms do to deal with it. I really don't want to resort to the paci, but would like to get a little more sleep as well. I guess I want my cake and eat it too. Just looking for more options to try in the middle of the night. TIA

Default Re: looking for suggestions about nite time feeding

I use a pacifier for my daughter, have used one since the day she was born. She has a very strong need to suck...in all honesty, she has it a LOT during the day, and at night she will suck until she is quite asleep and then spits it out on her own when she is done. I've never had issues with nipple confusion...but each baby is different. I have two other children (ages 4 and 6) so I don't feel that it is fair to them for me to be the baby's 'human pacifier'...I'd be sitting all day with her at the breast to satisfy her urge to suck...I guess everyone does what they need to do to suit their individual needs. I also have a lot of milk for a long time, and I think that if I allowed her to comfort nurse, I would be a milk producing maniac!!! I leak enough, I don't dare have all the extra stimulation! Hope you can figure out what works best for you, I know how hard it is to not have much sleep!

Ditto about the pacifier. My dd has never had nipple confusion and she has taken the paci from the beginning. At first she spit it out a lot, but we kept encouraging her (not forcing) to take it and now she loves her paci (5 mos). and uses it to comfort suck. All my kids were very oral and all of them had a paci.

I agree with jennyalger. My son is 13 weeks and has used a paci since about 2 weeks old without any issues. He does the same thing if I try to nurse when he only wants to suck... gets angry and screams when my milk lets down. I bfed both my older kids as well and they both took the paci fine. I know all babies are different, but that's my experience. Hope it helps and good luck!

I used a paci with my first daughter and she became addicted to it. She had to have it to go to sleep. I hated looking for it in the middle of the night, but I can't say it affected her nursing at all. She nursed until she was three. My son also nursed until he was three and we didn't use a paci. He was always nursing and a very fussy baby. I guess I thought that all babies wanted to nurse constantly. It sounds like I just have babies that are "very oral". I guess I will give it a try, but this time we are only going to use it at night and only for a few months. Does anyone know when the comfort suck thing lets up a little or is it an individual thing?