Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night feedings

Question Night feedings

My 3 month old LO is eating every three hours at night. He pretty much follows that during the day at daycare as well, but with more variation. Is this normal at this age or is there something I can do? I have tried nursing longer with no change. I would really like to get him down to just twice a night for now. His schedule is 8pm eat 830 bedtime 11 or 1130 up, b/w 2&230 up, b/w 5&530 up, and somtimes he'll get up every two hours. I would love to get him to do 8 pm 12 am and 4 am
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Default Re: Night feedings

My son is 8.5 months old and still waking up every 2 hours (sometimes it can be every hour or even 40 minutes depending on his mood.) I haven't been able to change it. The pediatrician told me not to nurse him during the night so that he will be hungry in the morning and nurse better during the day but I couldn't let him cry of hunger.

I am not sure what you can really do to help her sleep longer, especially since she is such a young baby. I think that at 3 months old, most babies still need to eat throughout the night. That schedule sounds about right. My LO was still eating every 3-4 hours until about 8 months old! I think that most babies start sleeping longer and longer stretches on their own though so hang in there!
    Mom to a beautiful little girl-born June 27th, 2006

I can't rememberwhere I read it, but I read that the size of the baby can make a big difference. When babies are small, their tummies are small, so they have to eat more often. Of course, everyone is different, but I think this makes sense.

I've heard that when a baby is 11 pounds s/he can go 6 hours without a feeding, but I think it depends on whether the baby wants to go that long rather than whether s/he needs to. My son is 20 pounds and he feeds every 2 hours at the least, I guess he doesn't want to go longer.

Thanks for all of you insight. It is nice to know I'm not the only one whos baby eats more than he technically needs to.

He is 13 lbs and did very well last night. except for a bout of gas he slept from 8 until 12. then he slept til 3 and was up again at 5. I don't think that is too shabby. I think maybe i expect too much out of my little guy. It feels like he's always been here, but he is only 3 mo old. I think I am going to relax about it a little and just try to enjoy my time with him when he's little
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Hi, GageWsMom. I just posted in the sleep section how my DS (3 1/2 mos) is feeding every 1-2 hrs day and night. This is the way he has always been. He's a decent sized baby (over 16 lbs now). You are not alone. In fact, you are slightly better off than me with my frequent eater LO. I think eating habit is really baby dependent. I'm not sure what we can really do about it.

"what to Expect in the First Year" has a good section about cutting down the nighttime feedings. It says be the time Lo is 3mo he should need 1 nighttime feedding. YOu can accomplish this several ways. Feed as much as possible during the day to fill his tank up,

Here is what I do & my LO is about 11lbs and almost 3mo
    (Iam also back to work full-time)
    Feed as much as possible during the day (bottle fed by grandma)
    I make sure he eats expressed BM from a bottle to see how much he eats and to make sure he fills that tank. He eats around 10:00 and then sleeps to about 3:00ish, then he eats again usually around 6:30 when I finish getting ready for work. I think bottle feeding BM at bedtime helps keep him full longer b/c he eats more witha bottle. This is alot of sleep compared to when I was on maternity leave. I just returned to work yesterday and my LO is 11weeks. All of this also depends on your baby. Not sure if this helps

I too have a 4 month old that likes to feed every 2 or 3 hours every night. For right now since hubby is working 3rd shift we are co-sleeping because it is easier for me to get sleep that way. I have a 2 year old that still doesn't sleep through the night, so don't feel bad that your 3 month old isn't sleeping longer! lol. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get a full night's rest! Ha ha, I just read a post that a 3 month old is supposed to only need 1 feeding at night. My 2 year old needed at least 2 sometimes more feedings at night and I tried EVERYTHING anyone ever told me to try. Feeding cereal before bedtime. Having a specific "bedtime routine" etc. Nothing worked. My LO definitely sleeps better than my first daughter did! And that I am SOOOOOOOO thankful for!
    Last edited by jesuslovingmommaof2; April 3rd, 2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Forgot something!

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

When my first son was around 3-4 months old he started to miss a feeding here or there. I then decided that he probably wasn't hungry and let him fuss/cry through some of the wakings through the night. He soon started sleeping through.I know it isn't a popular technique for many moms, but it worked for us and my son is a wonderful sleeper still (at 20 months).

I imagine we'll try the same with #2- he is just about 3 mo. and starting to skip the midnight feeding.