Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just need some support today

Wink I just need some support today

I'm reading the posts this morning and finding that my toddler nursing world is so small. I'm the only nursing mom of the friends/family I'm around, with the exception of this wonderful site. My DS is almost 19 months old and nursing like a newborn, especially with his molars coming in right now, of course. I'm a SAHM, so it's soooo easy to nurse on demand. I have been trying to set some limits, so he's not like a little koala baby hanging on it's mother, but he definitely doesn't show signs of slowing down! My first DS nursed until 35 months, and because I worked part-time, he had to wait entire days to nurse. I've encountered a couple friends, one who 'tried' to nurse for a couple months, and one who formula fed, who have said to me recently, "Oh, are you still doing that?" It's almost like they couldn't say "it" to me. Sometimes I let it bug me, other days I'm grateful to have had such long and rewarding nursing relationships with my children. I'm especially grateful to be able to come to this site and find others to say 'hi' to and feel supported. Any comments to make my day are welcome

Default Re: I just need some support today

Well I am only eight months in, but women like you give me the encouragement to stick with it and make me realize all the ways that breastfeeding helps our little ones grow up happy and healthy. Imagine if your son was having those molars come through and the only thing you could do was medicate him to help him feel better>>>your doing a great job..keep it up

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

My son is about the same age - he'll be 19 months in a few weeks. He loves nursing and I love nursing him. I don't know anyone in real life who is nursing this long. He also wants to nurse in public frequently which can be difficult. But, luckily my dh is supportive and I remind myself frequently that this is normal mammal behavior. Maybe they are still suppose to be little koalas.

Good luck,
    Laura

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

You are doing a great job so pat yourself on the back. My DD is only 11 1/2 months and I have gotten nothing but great feedback when I tell people that I am still nursing. Even my OB was overjoyed that I was still nursing. I don't know how long I will continue after her 1 year but we will see.

Do you have a local LLL group in your area you where you could attend meetings? My local group has lots of moms bfing toddlers and it's so interesting to see. Not something you see everyday but for me it seems normal now. They are a great place to meet "people in real life" who share your views.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Congratulations!
    If you can find an LLL group anywhere reasonably near you, go! You will find like-minded women there. Check here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/Webindex.html?m=0,0,2

As for the comments, try to let them slide off you. After all, *you* know what they are missing! Besides, by just quietly being an example, you may give them the courage to nurse future children longer. You never know!

Dawn

I think I know how you feel. BFing is so rewarding overall, so why are some days so discouraging?
    to you, mama. You are doing a *great* thing for your LO. My pedi was heaping praise on me last week when I told him that we are still nursing. Sometimes it just feels good to be praised instead of criticized, even if you know you are doing the right thing.
    So let me tell you-You are an awesome mama. You are an inspiration and an example to your friends here. You are unselfishly giving of yourself to nourish and comfort your child, and nobody should put you down for "still doing that." "That" is better than all the infant Tylenol, all the bottled synthetic vitamins, all the cow's milk in the world. Hold your head up high, mama, and know you are doing right by your wonderful LO.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Mez will be 4 on Thurday and he still nurses. I don't know anyone who is still nursing a child this old. When he was 19 months old, he was nursing non-stop. Basically, I got a lot of reading in in those days. Plus he wanted to nurse a lot in public for a while, and I know how it feels to get uncomfortable stares. And when your friends start in with the "he's still nursing?", it hurts. Hang in there, it will get better. You are doing the best thing for your child. I found that extended breastfeeding *really* helped out so much with tantrums. So much so that all those days of getting nothing done while he was basically latched on all day long were worth it. Mez would get worked up, nurse for about 30 seconds, calm down and go back to playing. I don't know what I would have done if he wasn't still nursing! Now I have it easy. He nurses about once every 3 or 4 days for about 10 seconds.

-Lauren

Thank you, thank you, thank you, to the most wonderful replies to my thread. I couldn't wait to get on my computer this morning I have considered attending my local LLL meetings, way back when I was nursing DS#1, and again when I was experiencing abundant supply and overactive letdown with #2, but something held me back. It's probably the best thing for me right now; just to SEE someone else in my shoes, because yes, toddler nursing is another dimension that most other moms can't seem to get comfortable with.

Another new emotion surfaced while I was nursing in front of a friend who 'tried' nursing, but just didn't want the hassle and believed that her husband was a 'stranger' to her baby daughter because of it; I hope that it doesn't make her jealous or seem like a nursing failure by 'rubbing it in her face' by my toddler nursing. Weird, huh? If that's the case, I feel bad , but if it isn't I'm happy .

My 15 month old son still nurses tonnes. I'm a SAHM too now, so it IS easy to nurse on demand. I'm not even worrying about weaning - we both enjoy it too much. Also, all the kids in the community have been really sick for the past week. My 3.5 yr old was one of those (she was only BF for a couple months as a baby - I got more info and support and was able to succeed with lo#2) Anyway, Logan and I only had to deal with a runny nose while our friend with a daughter the exact same age was in the clinic 3 times a day getting medication through a mask and being dosed with tylenol and advil at the same time to keep her fever down. Just another reason why it's not only OK to be BF'ing our older babies - it's a wonderful gift to them. I wish I could have given my older girl the same benefit - in fact, I even considered expressing BM for her while she was so sick to see if it would help - she lost 2 lb in a week and didn't take a bite of food for 4 days. I don't know anyone who EBF - in fact, I don't know any mothers who even BF AT ALL here! But, I don't care - I know I'm doing the best thing for my son and you should be proud you are doing the same. That's what the internet is here for - to give us isolated mothers support - and you have mine! Congrats on your BF'ing toddler!