Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first case of mastitis

Default My first case of mastitis

Well, after a long and stressful weekend, I have my first case of mastitis EVER.

I was insane enough to pack up both kids and take them to a horse show with me this past weekend (screechy music from Psycho here!), four hours one way from home, by myself! Then I was stupid enough to wear a bra that sometimes feels a little constrictive; it felt fine, but I guess it was laying on some of the ducts right at the edge of my left breast against my breastbone. I've always got a little oversupply problem, and that's been compounded by expressing a few ounces every day to store up for the one shift a week I work. I knew I wouldn't have time to pump, nowhere to pump, nowhere to store the milk, and besides, Colton was with me the whole time, so I figured that would be OK. He nursed often, but I guess it wasn't enough. We all have colds too, except for baby Colton.

So it got really painful in my left breast, right along the breastbone. I thought it was merely a plugged duct and started my routine for that; I was prone to them with DS #1.

I was able to spend a lot of time last evening resting, but I woke up at 2AM feeling absolutely crummy and couldn't go back to sleep. I was sure hoping I would feel better today. But I'm achy, hot and cold by turns, a bit nauseated, and now the skin is red over the sore area in my breast. No fever.

DH went to work . I'm home alone caring for both kids, both of whom got up early today (of course), and we have company coming Thursday, so rest is sorta catch as catch can. Anything else I can do, other than nurse frequently, drink fluids and all that jazz?

I am planning to call my midwife and see what she's got to say. I HOPE she can just call in a prescription should I need it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: My first case of mastitis

I'm so sorry! I had one mastitis when DD was about 3 months. THey are just misserable.

My doctor called in a perscription for me. But other things are to nurse nurse nurse like crazy on that side. I was lucky enough to have it over the weekend (if that is lucky) and DH helped out a lot with the LO.

Susan, you NEED to rest. Screw the company. Okay, that's a little harsh, but seriously!!
    Is the duct still noticeably plugged? Continue to treat that. I find the best way is to put a towel with warm-hot water on the lump for a few minutes right before feeding, and then massage it down toward the nipple during feeding. Another trick is actually hovering over Colton and feeding him like that (like we don't already feel like bovines! ). I did this once with my DD and she thought I was nuts, but I think it helped.
    I would also take lecithin and probiotics, especially if you start taking antibiotics for the infection.
    I don't suppose there's any hope of DH taking a day off?
    I hope you are feeling better soon! I have btdt and it's no fun!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Oh Susan!

I would do just as Molly said and use the warm (very warm) washcloth right before nursing, but I would follow it with a cool washcloth or icepack for a few minutes after nursing. Also, use compressions while nursing, on the sore spots, to help remove milk from the infected ducts.Here is some info from the kellymom site about what to do for plugged ducts and mastitis.

And I am in total agreement--if you have to take antibiotics, you should start on probiotics (which won't hurt even if you don't start antibiotics).

And of course, rest. Could you have your babysitter come over and help out for a few hours so you could take a nap? I know how hard it is with the high needs toddler, to get any rest at all--and sometimes we have to suck it up and ask for help!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Well, my regular doctor could get me in this morning, while the midwife couldn't. So I just got back from seeing the doc and picking up a prescription for dicloxacill. Both kids went back to sleep while I was waiting to leave for the appointment, so I was able to get in the shower and apply some water therapy too.

It's not noticeably plugged -- no discrete mass palpable in the duct. It's just very sore and red from 7 o'clock to 11 o'clock on my left breast. The doctor suggested I keep massaging and applying heat.

But she suggested I SUPPLEMENT And this girl should know better -- she's younger than I am, and I KNOW the advice has changed and the recommendation is to nurse as much as possible on the affected breast! Boy, was I irked! Dicloxacill is a penicillin derivative and is commonly used in breastfeeding moms, according to Dr. Hale, so I'm not sure what she was fussing about.

I was STARTLED to stop by the house before going to the pharmacy and find DH here!!! He actually came home early. I nearly fainted. He drove us to the pharmacy and for lunch, and he's taking our oldest outside in the nice weather so I can rest and nurse before going to feed the horses around 4, and he said he'll look after them tonight so I can really rest. I hope that means he'll pick up too

Gosh, I hope this blows over soon. If it's not one thing, it's another, I swear.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

what a good man to come home early and help out! i would have been shocked, too! i sure hope after resting tonight that you feel better. it sounds like you're doing everything right! sure is a miserable thing.....
    take care of yourself!
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

Quote Originally Posted by IansMommy View Post
    But she suggested I SUPPLEMENT

I was STARTLED to stop by the house before going to the pharmacy and find DH here!!! He actually came home early. I nearly fainted. He drove us to the pharmacy and for lunch, and he's taking our oldest outside in the nice weather so I can rest and nurse before going to feed the horses around 4, and he said he'll look after them tonight so I can really rest. I hope that means he'll pick up too

Gosh, I hope this blows over soon. If it's not one thing, it's another, I swear.
    WTH is up with that doctor? I hope you set her straight, but I don't blame you if you didn't feel up to saving the world.

I am so happy that your DH came through for you!

And...I hope it blows over soon too. Feel better.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I just wanted to add that you should get ahold of this month's Mothering magazine. They have some great tips in there for beating Mastitis without antibiotics and other ways to prevent it afterwards. Good luck!
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

Just a little update. . .

The fever started in, not long after I went to bed. Boy, that was BAD. It was at least 104. AFTER 800 mg ibuprofin. It lasted to around 2AM Monday night. I woke up feeling crummy Tuesday.

DH, after being so great, ticked me off yesterday morning. He proceeded to get ready for work, after he knew I'd been really, really sick all night and that I still felt bad. I'd even shown him the stuff in the various books I have that all said to REST. He muttered something about "visits". I shouted I didn't care if it was the PRESIDENT coming, I was more important than the job and that if he left or he didn't find someone to come look after our oldest child, I would get no rest! He stayed home. I stayed in bed with the baby and only got out to go feed the horses and to go to the bathroom. I felt a thousand times better by last night, and I felt relatively OK today, just very, very, VERY sore in my left breast.

And DH is sick now, and he stayed home for himself today (although I left HIM with the kids so I could work my morning. HA!!). He had a mild fever as compared to what I went through. He told me earlier today that we both must have gotten something, and I had it combined with mastitis, which is why I felt like death.

No, I didn't feel up to changing the world, but I did get very sharp with the doctor when she told me to supplement. She probably felt like I chewed her head off.

The fever must have hammered my supply for about 24 hours. I couldn't pump like I usually do to leave 12 oz of fresh BM while I'm away plus adding to the freezer. I could only leave 5, and some of that came from the frozen stash.

But interestingly enough, for the second week in a row, that's all he's taken. We switched to a Breastflow bottle, and I truly think that's made a difference. With the other bottle we were using, he was drinking at least 10 oz in 4 hours!! Anyhow, it worked out OK. DH didn't have to thaw any more.

I'm still incredibly sore, but I can tell my supply is coming back up. It'll all work out. I'll look for that Mothering magazine, just in case this ever happens again.
    Susan

Gosh. sounds horrible! I had a plugged duct, thrush but this sounds terrible! I hope you are feeling better! Please, try to take care of yourself! It irritates me when our darling hubbys don't understand the pain we go through, but when they have a MINOR illness ( from a slight cold to a stubbed toe) it's the end of the world! Well, I guess that's what makes women stronger!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!