Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Desperate for Help!!

Red face Desperate for Help!!

I gave birth 1 month ago, at first breastfeeding was a breeze and then I came home to a world of disaster thanks to my mom-in-law. I started giving bottles to my beautiful baby and breastfed less and less and also stopped pumping.

Now that things finally calmed down (3 weeks later) I am desperately trying to get back into breasfeeding and I am trying to wean my baby off the bottle and formula. Can someone help me? I want to give my child the best!

Default Re: Desperate for Help!!

Nurse you baby as much as possible and start pumping again. I am not an expert and you will get a lot of advice from much more experienced moms than I but I have had to supplement my LO since he was a preemie. Hang in there, I was on the verge of losing my supply and I am now doing very well. It takes some work but you will get there.
    Best of luck and congratulations on your little one.

Drop everything and spend time with your baby. Strip baby down to just diaper, take your clothes off from the waist up, and snuggle up in bed together. This will help get your hormones going and encourage your baby to nurse (warm baths are great for this too). Always offer the breast first at a feeding, and get in to a pumping routine so you can offer mommy's milk instead of formula until you can get off the suppliments.

Hang in there. I'm sure you can do it.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

I would get in touch with your local la leche league leader. Here is the link http://www.lalecheleague.org/Webindex.html?m=0,0,2 There help is free. They can assist with you a possible nipple shield or something of the sort that can help with latching. Like the PP said, skin to skin contact and pump as often as possible. It will take much determination but you can do it. It's not too late. Congratulations on your baby.

Welcome to the boards, and congrats on your new arrival!

How often is your baby nursing now? How many total ounces of supplement does your baby take daily?

Hello. I try to give my daughter the breast before the bottle. Sometimes she takes 2 ounces and other times 4 ounces from the bottle.

I went for her 1 month checkup today. At birth she weiged in at 7 lbs 3 ounces, then went down do 6 lbs 6 ounces and now she is 8 lbs 4 ounces.

The DR. said that I was doing well and we spoke of my concerns. He said to breastfeed when I can and to keep trying an to speak with with someone about my concerns. My husband does not always understand how adamant I am about breastfeeding and wants to push the bottle. This frustrates me.

Try having your husband read some material on why breastfeeding is so good for your LO. This helped my brother greatly ( I don't know how he got the opinion that BF wasn't good for babies as our Mom is very pro BF), I think sometimes men just aren't real clued into this stuff. Fortunately my husband had a very open mind, although he did have some really big concerns that I would have enough supply... Due to my breast size being very small Eventually he relaxed on this, not before he drove me nuts for a couple of weeks first though.

All of the PP give good advice. I know that building your supply back up can be not only difficult but frustrating... do try not to stress out about it though. Stress can effect your production. Getting plenty of rest and water can really help too.

Best wishes to you and your family!
    Last edited by mammamia; April 2nd, 2007 at 10:11 PM.