Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First couple of days...

Default First couple of days...

Hi, there. I am new to this site. I am due in June, and am very nervous about breastfeeding problems. What do you do in the first couple of days if your milk isn't in yet and the baby is hungry? i"m worried about...everything, really,,,,but worried about the baby being hungry and not able to feed. If you give formula if your milk isn't in, does that make for nipple confusion??
    Glad to be on this site...

Tats

Default Re: First couple of days...

I can understand your worry. BF is not easy - if it was, everyone would do it. A newborn needs very little in the beginning. The colostrom that you will produce will be enough. When the placenta is delivered that signals your body to produce milk and your baby will tell your body how much. So nursing on demand is important.

If you want to BF get the idea of supplementing out of your head now. Remember that our bodies are designed to nourish our babies and have been able to always - long before formula was even a concept.

I have 2 books that have been a great help to me. I reccommend them 1) The womanly art of breastfeeding and 2) The nursing mother's companion. Get informed before you have your LO. I would also encourage you to get in touch with you local LLL leader now or take a BF class at your hospital. Ask about the availability of LCs after you deliver.

Also, if you have family members who know very little about BF, tell them your plans now and help them get informed about the importance of BF and how they will be able to support you. I wish I had done this with my ILs. If they were educated about BF before their grandchild was born I might have had less opposition and discouragement.

You will have some issues/problems in the beginning. We all do. Get your support in line now and you will have more confidence. You will do just fine! We're here to help too so hit us with any questions you have!

Good luck and congratulations!
    Last edited by luke's mom; April 1st, 2007 at 06:39 PM.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Thank you so much!! I have so many questions about breastfeeding, but I'm sure a lot of it will have to wait till I'm there!! I will get those books, and i guess wait to figure the rest of it out when the little critter gets here. Thanks again!!
    TATS

Hi there Although it's hard to believe, all your baby needs is colostrum, until your milk comes in because their stomachs are so tiny..it's actually the size of a marble...no joke.

Expect your baby to lose weight....up to 10% of their birth weight which will be regained by the 2nd or 3rd week.

Feed on demand in the beginning until you learn your baby's hunger cues. Always offer both breasts at each feeding and don't watch the clock. I posted tons of questions before having my LO 8 weeks ago, so check out my threads...and feel free to email me with any questions. I read up so much on breastfeeding and asked so many questions that I felt pretty confidant going into it. Good luck
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

You've already done one of the best things you can do to prepare- you've found this site! If you read the basics and have some support from LCs or friends who have bfed you can definitely do it!

I second the posts above- your baby doesn't need much in the early days, just your colostrum and lots of love and cuddles! Your milk will come in and you'll be off and running.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

While in most cases it is true that the little colostrum that you produce is all a baby needs, there are some exceptions.

In my case, with twins, the girls were quite tiny. They couldn't even open their mouths wide enough to get much more than the nipple...their mouths were simply too small. We had to ensure they didn't lose more than the 10%. An infant's survival is more important than nipple confusion! In turn, we supplemented with tiny amounts of formula, usually about 0.5 oz, using an eyedropper (b/c they were tiny).

I will probably be unpopular for saying so, but nipple confusion is not a given, foregone conclusion if a bottle or pacifier is used. There are, in fact, cultures in the world (in our area the Somali) that BF and bottle feed, from birth, with no problems.

I personally believe it is far more complex than made out to be (i.e., using a nipple will always screw up the BF relationship). In turn, as was my case, the girls were using bottles for one feeding a day by 1 month and are champion nursers...never any confusion.

My ultimate point: Don't worry too much. I firmly believe it is the worry and anxiety caused by "ultimatums" that cause the most problems in BF relationships.

FWIW, my .02

My son had a bottle starting on day four and never had "nipple confusion". I think it should be called nipple preference because I think that's what it actually is.

Anyways... The first rule is always feed the baby, so if there is a problem with the baby latching, then a bottle could be a good solution. However, I would highly recommend buying a good breast pump or renting a hospital grade one for that first month. That way instead of feeding formula, you can give the baby your precious milk and protect that virgin gut! see this link:

http://breastfeed.com/resources/articles/virgingut.htm

No matter what, I hope your hospital has Lactation Consultants because they can help you work through any issues that may arise. Also, find the names and numbers of your local LLL leaders and bring them with you to the hospital!!! They are here to help!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807