Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: meeting with an IBCLC/reglan/domperidone

Default meeting with an IBCLC/reglan/domperidone

Okay, so a few questions here...

I went to my OB GYN Friday for my annual. I expressed my concern over not bring able to pump much milk for my LO which hinders me from being able to do much away from my LO for more than a few hours. Also, she isn't having many bowel movements (she goes a few days in between). She is fussy often and does not sleep well at night because she wants to nurse every few hours, sometimes every hour and a half. I understand that these concerns do not necessarily mean a low supply. My DH gave my LO a 4 oz bottle (took me 2 days to pump that) yesterday and not only did she sleep for a solid 3 hours after the bottle, but after her nap she had a fantastic bowel movement. This leads me to think that there might be a problem with her getting enough milk from me.

I have posted about this before.

Anyway, my OB prescribed Reglan, but I don't think I will fill that. I have read & heard many negative things about it. Since she can't prescribe domperidone, I decided to call an IBCLC.

I will be meeting with the IBCLC Tuesday. She will do a milk weigh (weigh my LO before and after a feeding to see how much she is getting at a feeding). She mentioned domperidone. I am very interested in trying this to see if it might help with the feedings (so she will get fuller and maybe go a little longer between feedings - especially at night) and also so that I can provide pumped milk in bottles for when I am away from my LO.

I have read some threads on domperidone on here.

Just wondering if anyone can provide any info, personal experiences with domperidone? Any insight into my problem?

Also - my LO is nearly 6 months old. She has about 5 wet diapers in a 24 hour period, bowel movements every few days or so. I have tried cereal & applesauce a few times, but she won't really take either.

Default Re: meeting with an IBCLC/reglan/domperidone

Hi!
    I have had some very severe supply issues myself and can tell you that I literally tried everything to get my supply up. You name it I tried it, including reglan. For me personally, reglan was very, very bad. It made me depressed and exhausted. My lo is only nine weeks and at the time was six weeks and not sleeping very well at night anyway, reglan just made it worse for me. I had to beg my doc for a prescription of domperidone but I did get one. Worked great and none of the side effects that I got with the reglan. Before my lo was not getting enough from me let a loan me being able to pump out anything for her while i was gone. Now after two weeks of taking it, she is always satisfied after I feed her and I can even pump out a bit, not alot but much better than I was doing without it. It helped me tremendously, hope this helps you in some way, and good luck!!

I was told to ask for reglan, have not yet, as fenugreek works for me. I did read this about the domperidone:

FDA Warns Against Women Using Unapproved Drug, Domperidone, to Increase Milk Production
    In response to reports that women may be using an unapproved drug, domperidone, to increase milk production (lactation), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning breastfeeding women not to use this product because of safety concerns. Today, FDA also issued six letters to pharmacies that compound products containing domperidone and firms that supply domperidone for use in compounding.

The Agency also is issuing an Import Alert which alerts FDA field personnel to be on the lookout for attempts to import this drug so that it can be detained and refused admission into the U.S. if appropriate.

FDA took these actions because it has become aware that some women who breastfeed and/or pump breast milk are purchasing this drug, domperidone, from compounding pharmacies and from sources in foreign countries to increase breast milk production. Domperidone may increase the secretion of prolactin, a hormone that is needed for lactation.

Although domperidone is approved in several countries outside the U.S. to treat certain gastric disorders, it is not approved in any country, including the U.S., for enhancing breast milk production in lactating women and is also not approved in the U.S. for any indication.

The agency is concerned with the potential public health risks associated with domperidone. There have been several published reports and case studies of cardiac arrhythmias, cardiac arrest, and sudden death in patients receiving an intravenous form of domperidone that has been withdrawn from marketing in a number of countries. In several countries where the oral form of domperidone continues to be marketed, labels for the product contain specific warnings against use of domperidone by breastfeeding women and note that the drug is excreted in breast milk that could expose a breastfeeding infant to unknown risks. Because of the possibility of serious adverse effects, FDA recommends that breastfeeding women not use domperidone to increase milk production.

The FDA recognizes the immense health benefits that breast milk provides for a nursing infant and is taking these actions today not to discourage women from breastfeeding but rather to warn them not to use this particular drug while they are breastfeeding.

The letters issued by FDA today stated that all drug products containing domperidone (whether compounded or not) violate the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) because they are unapproved new drugs and misbranded. In addition, distribution within the U.S., or importation of domperidone-containing products, violates the law. FDA informed the warning letter recipients that further violations of the Act may result in enforcement actions including seizure and injunction.

####

Quote Originally Posted by mommy2nickmichelewyatt View Post
    I was told to ask for reglan, have not yet, as fenugreek works for me. I did read this about the domperidone:

FDA Warns Against Women Using Unapproved Drug, Domperidone, to Increase Milk Production
    In response to reports that women may be using an unapproved drug, domperidone, to increase milk production (lactation), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning breastfeeding women not to use this product because of safety concerns. Today, FDA also issued six letters to pharmacies that compound products containing domperidone and firms that supply domperidone for use in compounding.

####

The study that the FDA used in their decision to issue this warning, from what I have read, was done on very sick patients who were taking domperidone through an IV. I know many LC's have been suggesting for years and it has no known side effects. I've been taking it for a couple weeks now, and though I didn't get the "miracle" results that some people have gotten, I think it has helped my supply and I'm going to start trying to slowly wean my lo off the formula. We'll see how it goes. I get my domperidone from www.inhousepharmacy.com They've been great so far. Good luck!

I asked my DR for a prescription and they don't give you one if you answer no to some/all of these questions. Are you getting enough sleep, how much fluid intake...how much does the baby weigh. In their mind, I don't have a milk supply issue. My pumping output has changed and I only bring home 4 Lansinoh bags totaling 16oz...that's it. DH is always telling me that I don't have enough even though our DD is now chomping away at food. I lost interest in Mother's Milk Tea, so that was a complete waste

Wow! My DD is almost 8 months and we almost have the same pregnancy weight gain/loss. I was 185 lbs when I delivered. Lost 15. Then I lost 10...now I'm stuck at 160 and my goal weight is 130. I would like to do weight watchers, but where/how do I find the discipline??

I take Domperidone. The FDA un-approved it after people had problems with taking it by IV. Well, I'm taking a pill, that's a MUCH differnt way for it to enter your body. And it's still legal in every other country, women in Canada and the UK, etc, still take it all the time.

It worked really well for my supply, but didn't seem to help much with what I pumped. I was really hoping that if I had more milk, more would come out. But it doesn't. I just don't pump well. Also, it seems to have lost some of it's effectiveness with time. Like my body has gotten used to it. I'm thinking about slowly going off it and then back on.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Debi-

Just wondering how your appointment went? Did you get any help? Keep us posted! My OB gave me Reglan also with my first lo, after reading about it I decided not to take it also. Hang in there.

Kristie