Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help light black gray stool

Default Help light black gray stool

Hello, I need help..... My daughter is 6 months old, I just started solids about 1 week ago. Started with sweet potatoes and it was ok, after 3 days we switched to squash and Samantha hated it. She got a rash and refused to eat. Her stools were rather runny so the Dr. told us to stop the squash and try a little bananna. Well, she loves the bananas with the cereal but her stools the last day which she has had 4 poopy diapers in one day have been charcoal gray and very thick and pasty. Is this normal? I have searched this site for hours and havent seen anything close to this. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am going nuts. I am going to call the Dr tomoroow but since its Sunday, I have to wait one more day.
    Thanks,
    Patty

Default Re: Help light black gray stool

my dd cann't have more then a 1/2 a bannana in a day or she'll have a painfull poops. Was she eating alot of it?
    Baby cereal can cause them to have troubles pooping too..
    is it painfull or hard and like pellets?
    dr sears has some good info on his web site
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

Thanks for your quick response. No, she is not having trouble with constipation, stool is not hard, it is very thick and pasty. We mixed banana with her cereal 3 times a day so she got about 1 oz each feeding.

if shes not in any pain, try not to worry about it.
    When you start solids thier poop looses that breastfeed baby smell and color, and becomes more like adult poop.
    just watch that she doesn't start to have trouble, if she does you can cut back on the solids and nurse more and in a few days try the solids again slowly.
    some babies have real troubles with cereal, some moms skip the cereal and just do veggies and fruits.

Smile Re: Help light black gray stool

Thanks Andrea. I am going to lay low from the Banana's today and try something new and see what happens.
    Have a great day,
    Patty

Bananas always give DD gray-black pasty poops . . .doesn't seem to bother her . . .