Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm sure you've heard this one before...

Default I'm sure you've heard this one before...

I have twin 7 month old boys (this is not really a multiples question though). One eats like a little piggy (both solids and breastmilk) and the other is really psycho about food. He won't go near any solids and he's even gotten weird about nursing and bottles (ebm). He gets very upset unless the stage is perfectly set for a meal i.e. no distractions, silent brother, he's famished and you make him laugh first. If you give him a bottle you need to make him think that drinking it is his idea. He needs to grab it from you. He'll nurse when he's hungry but not 5 minutes before that. So he can be utterly exhausted and verging on hungry but I can't feed him so that he'll take a reasonable nap. It's very frustrating. I've never been crazy about having them on identical schedules but it would be nice to get them to eat and sleep within reasonably proximity of one another.

p.s. I've tried putting food on a spoon so that he can grab it and feed himself. He chews on the other end of the spoon. Yes, I've tried putting food there too! I've also tried cheerios soaked in breastmilk and mushed up banana/avacado. He purses his lips.

So I guess my questions are:

• Do some kids just not eat solids until way later than 6 or 7 months?
    • Our older son had low iron at this age. Would that be a concern?
    • I've only been feeding the one that eats solids once a day. Should I step that up? He's killing me with all the nursing (every 2 hours).
    • Does this mean I'm going to have to be one of those people who makes 12 dinners a night? Once a picky eater, always a picky eater?

For the record they're both big. 20+ lbs.

Default Re: I'm sure you've heard this one before...

Do some kids just not eat solids until way later than 6 or 7 months?
    Yes. 6 months is just a guideline as to when solid might be introduced but not all babies are ready for solids until much later. Just as an example, one of my children wouldn't touch solid foods until he was 11 months old.
    Our older son had low iron at this age. Would that be a concern?
    Most full-term babies will have enough iron stores in their bodies to see them through the first year of life. If you are concerned, you can have their iron levels tested in the pediatrician's office.
    I've only been feeding the one that eats solids once a day. Should I step that up? He's killing me with all the nursing (every 2 hours).
    Breastmilk should make up the vast majority of baby's calories for the first full year of life. In the first year of life solid foods should be offered sparingly so that they don't fill the baby up and make it so they nurse less. Solids right now don't offer anything nutritionally anyhow (breastmilk is the most nutritious thing you can give them) -- they're really just for baby to experiment around with Besides, there'd be no guarantee that baby would nurse less frequently even if you did step up the solids. Babies nurse for a variety of reasons -- not always because they're hungry.
    Does this mean I'm going to have to be one of those people who makes 12 dinners a night? Once a picky eater, always a picky eater?
    Actually, breastfed babies tend to enjoy a wider variety of foods since they've been exposed to many different flavors through your breastmilk. Some babies are simply more finicky than others and that may or may not carry on into later life. At this point, I wouldn't be too concerned They're still really young.

HTH! Keep up the great work -- nursing twins has got to be extremely challenging!