Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird problems!!

Default Weird problems!!

Hi,

My daughter is 3 months 2 weeks old. She is breastfeeding exclusively.. though frequently in the evenings. For the past 4-5 days she is behaving differently. She starts sucking her fingers/fist and when I feel she is hungry and lay her down to feed her, she starts crying and doesnt want to nurse. Sometimes she takes the breast and after 2-3 sucks pulls out and starts crying as if she doesnt have the patience to wait till let-down. And some times immediately after let-down she pulls of crying and starts sucking her fingers again I know that its not OALD because in the evenings my supply is low. And when she cries I think she is not hungry and pick her up and put her on my shoulders she starts licking my shirt And sometimes she doesnt take my right breast on cross-cradle latch (which is her normal latch style) and I have had to shift to football hold for my right breast. I am not able to understand her behaviour. Has anybody faced similar problems?? Please help!! I feel she is not taking enough now-a-days

Default Re: Weird problems!!

My daughter is 11 weeks and for the past week I have experienced the same issues. Except she WONT take the breast!!!! The days she does this she goes 6-8 hours without eating and then will eat the same at night.....

I am intrested in the responses you get!!!!

If the weight gain is fine and they are still making plenty of wet diapers with clear urine, then it may just be one of those weird baby things that are hard to figure out, and either you will figure it out or they will just stop doing it! There is such a wide range of normal nursing behavior, it's really hard to say whether a baby is not getting enough from the number of minutes or frequency of nursing. You have to go by weight gain. Before 4 months, babies usually gain 5-7 oz per week.

If there is crying associated with a certain position, it could be an ear infection.

My 3 1/2 month old has been acting similarly, maybe once or twice a day (like you, usually in the evening when he's tired and cranky). Lots of fist action and shirt licking, but then sometimes won't nurse -- complains that letdown is slow and then complains when letdown comes. Otherwise he's thriving, though, and I can't see any signs of GI distress. Sometimes there's a burp there. I've also been wondering if we're getting some pre-teething behavior, as he seems to want to suck on anything he can get his hands on. Basically when this happens, my strategy is just to stop for a while and try again, maybe 30 minutes or an hour later. Usually he settles down and then is hungrier and eats just fine. Good luck!

Annie

dd had same problem, I noticed it was always when her right side was facing downwards, turned out she had an ear infection in the right ear.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

I dont think my dd has ear infection because she nurses on that side once in a while!! In the night when she is sleepy she has no problems nursing on my right side. The problem is only when she is awake. She refuses to nurse at all sometimes. Like Annie said, complains when let-down is slow and then when there is let-down. Yesterday she was very fussy in the evening and wouldnt nurse even when she was hungry. And I just tried nursing her in the room different from where I nurse her usually and she happily nursed there. This worked today too! So I guess she is bored of the same place!!! Hopefully this strategy works always!!

My DD is 3 months 3 weeks and started acting similarly--she still wanted to nurse, but couldn't keep her fingers out of her mouth and would pull and bite down on my nipple. I thought she can't be teething, but my mom said I had a tooth by the time I was 3 months. What do you know but Saturday one of her molars popped up (I thought the front teeth were supposed to be first!). Anyone else have these teeth pop up first? Anyway...back to your thread...it could be early teething.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I agree that it could be teething. My DS is 5.75 months and started teething around 8 weeks. He still does not have teeth and the teething comes and goes a few days at a time. My mother tells me that another child born at the same time as me was born with 3 teeth. So it is never too early to teeth.

I have been to two different lactation consultants and one Dr. in the past week and a half for the EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

At first I thought it was low milk, then we thought it was ear problems or thrush, and finally, the Dr. and I concluded that little sweet baby is just already exhibiting her likes/dislikes. She prefers the bottle!

We were only supplementing with about two bottles per week, but somehow she remembered how quickly milk comes from them and decided that would be her mode of eating. I think not!

I am working so hard to get her back to breast . . . . . .. I think what may prove successful is that I am trying to make being at my breast *fun* I allow her to pull off to talk/coo at me, latch back on, whimper and fuss it out, and then finally she nurses . . . Well, that is where we are at today . . . . . . . last week, she didn't want ANYTHING to do with the breast and screamed at the top of her lungs about nursing! With a few days of patience and sleeping skin to skin and taking away that pacifier, I am seeing some progress.

I am so glad (no offense!) to hear some others going through this because for a while there I thought it was me and that something was wrong with my relationship with her cause why wouldn't she want to do something that was so natural!

Lisa

When my little girl was 3 months she did something very similar. She went on a strike. I would have my husband rock her to sleep, then once she was almost asleep, I would express some milk by hand to get that taste on my breast so she would suck. Once my milk would let down, she would nurse just fine!

I think the problem for her was a lot of changes in her environment. She did this over the Christmas holiday as we are visiting family and I didn't bring along my pump for the day, and again when she was in the hospital for a minor surgery. Things weren't how they were supposed to be in her world and she didn't want to wait for my milk to let down.

Just give it some time and hopefully it will get better soon!

Brandy
    Emma's mommy