Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids- slowed weight gain (less nursing)

Default Solids- slowed weight gain (less nursing)

My son, 7 months yesterday (4 weeks premature), has been on solids since 5 months. Here is his schedule:
    5 am- nurse
    7 am- nurse
    9 am- cereal with 2 oz. EBM
    12- nurse
    2- 1 stage 2 baby food with 2 T. cereal
    4- nurse
    7 pm- 2 jars of stage 2 baby food & 1/3 cup cereal with EBM & water (I can only pump 1 oz. at a time- and that's after pumping for about 15 mintues!)
    7:30- nurse & then bed.

Anyways- he was gaining 2 pounds a month (he has trippled his birth) but since the solids, he is only gaining 1/2 pound a month. Is this ok?? Also- how do I increase the amount that I pump? I need more to put into his sippy cup (I use 1 oz. water, now- formula made his belly hurt!) and to put in his cereal.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Solids- slowed weight gain (less nursing)

My son is 6 months old and he's been on cereal since 5 months and some jar food since 5.5 months. Looking at your post, I would recommend maybe just nursing in the morning and not doing any cereal until the afternoon or evening. Also, perhaps a lower amount of cereal in the evening. You are giving him 1/3 c and the serving size is usually 1/4 c. Cereal has less calories, and in the morning most moms have a larger milk supply, so I try to fill my LO up in the morning and afternoon with BM and then do solids at dinnertime when I'm making less milk, he's more hungry, and things are busier with dinner (less time to nurse). Of course, I'm not a doctor or LC, so please keep that in mind. You might want to ask your dr about this too.

I mix his cereal with BM too and I get most of it right before I go to bed, since he's sleeping about 11-12 hours now. Since starting pumping I've been able to get more than enough for his cereal and sippy cup (he's just learning so I only do about an ounce in the cup). I would suggest pumping just before you go to bed, and maybe before nursing in the morning. That way you can increase your supply over a few days, and not rob your LO of the hindmilk you would have if you pumped after.

Just my opinion tho, I'm far from an expert! Hopefully a LLL will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong! Good luck!

so thats 3 jars of + cereal everyday?? i dont think my 11.5 month old would eat that much! i would cut out the jar food or at least cut way back and start finger foods
    also...wieght gain slows down once they start getting mobile...rolling, crawling, cruising.....they burn alot more calories.....hth?
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Thanks-
    What does hth mean? Also- I tried finger foods & he didn't like them at all! We tried cheerios & he mushed it around in his mouth with a face like "oh yuk!" haha. We laughed. He finally got it down, but refused to open his mouth for another one.

HTH=Hope That Helps...

As for slowed weight gain, I agree with the previous posts....sounds like a lot of solids for your little one.

That said, babies DO slow way down after 6 months. Mine dropped in their percentiles dramatically after 6 months, too.

Lisa

my ped suggested me a fruit in the morning after nursing. I give rice and quinoa cereals at 7-8 (night) and vegetable at noon. My LO is 7.5 months. She just takes a few spoons if she is in the mood. My ped said to give her solids after nursing and not trying to replace a nursing meal.It is true that from now babies gain weight with a very slow rythm.