Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need advice

Question need advice

Hi, my name is Cindy. I am new to this site, but I'm really impressed by it. I think it's great that there is a forum dedicated to those of us who are nursing.
    Anyway, back to my question. My son is 10 days old. He lost weight at birth, which I know is normal. The issue is he isn't gaining it back. He isn't losing, but he isn't gaining either. He eats every 3 hours sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes for 30. He has good output. We have had him to the doctor's a couple of times to monitor his weight. She assures me that he is setting his own way and there is nothing to worry about, as long as he's maintaing and not losing.
    I feel very sad about it and question my decision to breastfeed. I really really want to do it and know it is the best for my baby, but I want him to gain weight and know that he is getting enough to eat.
    Has any of you experienced this? Should I supplement with formula? What would you all do?

Default Re: need advice

Have you tried offering him the breast more often? It's a good sign that your ped is watching the situation and okay with it. Supplementing is sometimes needed, but it is easy to end up in a vicious cycle of offering more and more formula and then your supply decreases. I know it's hard when things aren't going how you envisioned, but you are absolutely right that you made a great decision to give him the best. In addition to providing him with easily digestible, perfect nutrition, you are giving him powerful antibodies and the gift of a special closeness with you. (And, there's lots of other good stuff about bfing, too.) I know some other moms on the forum have been in your situation, so hopefully they'll be along soon with some encouragement and advise. Hang in there and know you are giving your baby the best!

Are you feeding on demand? Are you waking him at night to nurse if your LO sleeps more than 3 hrs? Do you have a sleep newborn? How much weight did he lose? It's not uncommon for it to take 2 wks to regain the normal ~10% birth weight loss. Try not to watch the clock as much (I know it's hard) and instead follow your LO's cues. As the PP suggested, try to offer the breast more often and beware of supplementing. It's a slippery-slope. For every bit of formula you introduce to your LO your body scales back it's supply that much. BF is a simple supply and demand relationship.

It sounds like you're doing fine!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Hi Cindy, Welcome to the boards. I understand how you feel. My LO was 1 1/2 pounds under birth weight at 2 weeks and it was killing me. Keep offering to nurse as muh as you and your LO can. The weight willl come with time. If you are having plenty of wet and dirty diapers than you are doing fine.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I agree, don't doubt your decision. As long is baby is maintaining weight you are doing fine. Keep offering breast when baby wants which may sometimes feel like that's all you do for a while. This is one of the best things you will ever do!

Just chiming in with the pp's... keep up the good work! As long as the diaper output is good, I wouldn't worry about gaining back the birth weight, it can take 2 weeks sometimes. Your ped sounds very supportive of breastfeeding, which is fantastic.

Congrats on your LO!

Thank you so much for your support/advice. Yes the Ped is watching us, but even with her expertise, I like to hear how other moms deal with it or what you think. It's easier to hear from experience than expertise.
    I feed him when he wants to be fed, whether it's 30 minutes or 2 1/2 hours. I don't let him go longer than 3 hours. Yes, your right it seems that is all I do at some points but I love it, and I don't mind at all. . It's family that make me question my decision to nurse. Not mine, but my hubbies. His mother didn't BF and though she doesn't disagree with it, it isn't something that she is passionate about. So, when she found out the baby wasn't gaining, she questioned whether I should continue, and whether it was in his best interest. It kind of adds to the after baby blues (PPD).

He was 7 pounds 8 oz at birth and is 6 pounds 10 oz now. I was being watched in the end of my pregnancy because I had too much fluid. I had to have an ultrasound every week for the last month as well as a bunch of blood tests. My sister, who is a OB/GYN nurse thinks that he may have been born with extra fluid and lost it as a way to cope until my milk came in.

Again, thank you so much!!! I feel so much better with my decision.
    Last edited by BriJay; April 1st, 2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: didn't answer a question

your sil has a point about the extra fluids. Did you have and iv?
    that can add to babies weight also.
    10 days is still very young. Some babies take up to two weeks to regain their birth weight.
    heres a good link about Low supply
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

are you having sore nipples?
    a baby with a bad lactch will make your nipples sore.

you might try breast compressions to help baby gain more weigth
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

you can watch clips of good latch at this web site
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

if you have any more ?'s don't be afraid to ask!
    And don't be afraid to call your lOcal leader she can help too.

Thank you Andrea for the links. I found the one on compression very interesting.
    I really appreciate the support