Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What Is Going On??

Question What Is Going On??

HI!!

I'm breastfeeding exclusively my 8 weeks old DD (going on 9 weeks) and she's gaining weight and growing fine. Since this morning she has been behaving very weird. She would start crying, so I offer her the breast, she would eat for about 5 minutes and start crying like crazy. I would keep offering the breast but she won't take it so I change her diaper instead and try again but she keeps crying. Then I would put her in her bouncing chair and she falls asleep.

I never experienced this before, she usually takes only one breast but she falls asleep after at least 10 minutes, what could the problem be? I'm very concerned.

Also, she doesn't seem to have a schedule, she sometimes eats every 3 hours, sometimes every 2. The only time she seems to be consistent is at night at around 9 or 10 she would wait 4 hours between feeds.

I am very confused, I wish I knew more about breastfeeding.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Lasbi

Default Re: What Is Going On??

First of all, it is completely normal to have no schedule at this point. Paying attention to your baby now will help you to meet her needs (as far as being tired and hungry) and being in tune with your baby will be much more helpful as she gets older than would be a predictable schedule.

As for what is going on right now, does she seem like maybe she is in pain from being gassy? Keep an eye on her diapers to make sure there aren't any major changes there in frequency. She might be going through a growth spurt. And, you might never know what was going on, but that's okay, too. Just do your best to meet her needs.

Do you know if there is a LLL group in your area? I've found it really helpful to go to meetings, meet other moms, and learn from them and the leaders.

Feel free to keep asking questions. There is a lot to learn about being a new mom.

I second all of the above, and to adda little bit

Starting around that time, my LO just wanted time to herself, she wasn't hungry, wet, or gassy, but she didnt want me to hold her to sleep, she was happy to go in her seat then fall asleep. It worried me a lot at first until I realized she just wanted down time. Hope that helps!

My DD is the same age, eight weeks as of yesterday and she has been acting similar. Sometimes she wants to eat every threehours on the dot, then the next day she will eat every hour for a few hours...she has been more fussy today and eating more frequently and falling asleep for longer periods of time during the day, so I think she is having a growth spurt...but you never know....all you can do is keep trying to comfort them...my LO is alseep in her swing right now, she didn't want to be held either...I guess our LO's are on the same wavelength!

Smile Re: What Is Going On??

I agree with the PP and I just wanted to say you are doing a great job! It is hard early on but you are doing great!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

AWWW!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I wasn'T expecting such warm responses!

It's amazing how many of us are having the same experience!! My DD wants to be left alone too, and that started just a few days ago.

I'm glad I posted the question!!

THANKS AGAIN!!

Lasbi