Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek Doseage

Default Fenugreek Doseage

Hello,

I started Fenugreek on Wednesday (16 500mg caps daily). I noticed a slight increase in my supply (but of course that could very well be from pumping a lot more), but I do not "smell like pancakes." Should I take more? My LC said that if I don't "smell" than I am not yet at the therapeutic doseage, but I forgot to ask her if it is possible to take *too much*

Any feedback?

THANKS, as always!

Lisa

Default Re: Fenugreek Doseage

Hello,
    Did you ever get any help with this? I am thinking of trying this herb in the next few days because I just don't know what else to do. I posted a thread today looking for help because where I am from, there are no doctors or nurses to help me.

How much do you take and did you find you need to increase the dosage, as well - how long do you take it because on babycare.com, they say your milk should increase in 24-48 hours.

How often do you pump? I was thinking of going to every two hours, but it is so difficult to feed her and me and then pump on a schedule like this.

Hey There,

I am definitely seeing some results, but to be honest, I have been taking this coupled with much increased pumping. So I'm not sure if it is the herb, or the pumping that is helping . . .

I am taking approx. (15) 500mg capsules per day. I'm also drinking boatloads of Mother's Milk tea.

I'm sorry that there is no one there to help you . . . . . . I have exhausted all my resources in this area myself (I've seen/spoken to every LC around here!) and my problems still aren't resolved, if that is any consolation to you! Sometiems it doesn't matter how much help you get, the problems are still there!

Hang in there. I'm sure one of the LLLI folks will be responding to your message here soon. They're so good like that!

Lisa

It's best to nurse directly as often as possible. Nursing directly will stimulate your breasts more than a pump will. With any galactogogue, you must couple it with increased pumping or nursing.

The suggested dose of fenugreek is 3 pills 3 times a day. However, there are some warnings that come with fenugreek and I encourage you to do your research. There's been a lot of discussion here about this herb and I'm sure a simple search will garner you a lot of information.

However, the question that begs to be asked is: Why do you feel you need to take fenugreek and/or increase your supply? Can you give us a better picture of what is going on?

Lisa - I do think you can take too much fenugreek however I don't know what that is. Did your IBCLC give you a suggested dosage? As I mentioned above, the suggested starting dosage is 3 pills/3x day. FWIW, when I once took fenugreek I only took the suggested dosage, never smelled like maple syrup and my milk supply increased significantly within 24 hours (I was also nursing or pumping every 2 hours though so that may have been more effective than the fenugreek was).