Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introduction and question.

Default Introduction and question.

Hi all. I'm new here. This site looks great, I've been reading for a few days but this is my first chance to post.

My daughter is 11 days old today and I've been breast feeding exclusively (no pacifiers, no EBM, etc). However, at her first doctors appointment her pediatrician told me to give her 2 oz of water twice a day. EVERYTHING I've read (and been told by my lactation consultant, and the hospital) said that she doesn't "need" water, and it can in fact do more harm then good. On top of that, he knows I am determined to BF exclusively, yet he told me to supplement with formula at night. I was really perturbed that he wanted to sabotage my attempt at BFing by introducing bottles so early. Anyway...

A few other things this doctor said leads me to believe he's very out dated and old school, but for my own edification I'd like some links or information on water supplementation.

FYI, I've changed doctors.

Default Re: Introduction and question.

You are a smart mom! Here is the official policy of the American Academy of Pediatrics on Breastfeeding and Human Milk:

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;115/2/496

It states that no supplements (including water) should be given to a breastfeeding newborn unless a medical indication exists.

Giving water can fill up a baby, making him less hungry for what he needs (your milk). It can also increase the risk of jaundice. In a worst case scenario, excessive water can cause electrolyte imbalances, which is life-threatening.

Again, you are such a smart mom to trust your gut on this one!!!!

How is BF going? Is your baby gaining weight well and making plenty of poopy diapers?

Warmly,
    Lynnette

Quote Originally Posted by North_Of_60
    Hi all. I'm new here. This site looks great, I've been reading for a few days but this is my first chance to post.

My daughter is 11 days old today and I've been breast feeding exclusively (no pacifiers, no EBM, etc). However, at her first doctors appointment her pediatrician told me to give her 2 oz of water twice a day. EVERYTHING I've read (and been told by my lactation consultant, and the hospital) said that she doesn't "need" water, and it can in fact do more harm then good. On top of that, he knows I am determined to BF exclusively, yet he told me to supplement with formula at night. I was really perturbed that he wanted to sabotage my attempt at BFing by introducing bottles so early. Anyway...

A few other things this doctor said leads me to believe he's very out dated and old school, but for my own edification I'd like some links or information on water supplementation.

FYI, I've changed doctors.

Thanx for the link!!

And yes, she's doing very well in the weight department. At 11 days old she has regained her birth weight and then some. And lots of poopy diapers!

Excellent! Hopefully now you can relax and enjoy her. (And maybe check out an LLL meeting.) ;-)

I say get a new doctor!!!! (Just my humble opinion) I get very frustrated by doctors who aren't supportive and/or don't have knowledge about breastfeeding! Perhaps you could share with him the info from the American Academy of Ped. ? It's good that you informed yourself about breastfeeding! Keep up the good work!!!