Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not napping...affecting nigttime sleep

Default not napping...affecting nigttime sleep

i'm new here...hoping for some advice...witin the past week Lucas (7 weeks old on monday) has nearly stopped napping, and it seems it's affecing his nighttime sleep (overnight - he previously was waking at around 2 and 5 to eat...bedtime around 8...would put him to bed sleepily and he would fall asleep). recently, we introduced the bottle w/breastmilk (i'm going to work soon and wanted to make sure he would take it) and hubby has been feeding him bottle before bed while I pump. Thursday night i fed breast before bed and put him to sleep at 8 p.m. and he woke at 11, 2, 4, and last night put him to sleep at 8...didn't fall asleep until around 10....I actually had to wake him at 1:30 b/c my breasts had become very painful, which hadn't happened since his 1st or 2nd week. Im concerned that he isnt getting the amont of sleep he should be getting and that he is overtired.

p.s. now even when we do get him to fall asleep on breast or in arms...he wakes and is fussy when we lie him down...creates a cycle b/c we have to pick him up to calm him...

help!

Default Re: not napping...affecting nigttime sleep

Hi Lucas' mom! Congratulations on your baby!
    I have a few questions-- just trying to understand the way things are right now for you. Does your baby sleep in a separate crib or in bed with you? In a separate room from you or in your room? How often do you nurse (approximately) in 24 hours? Does he take little "cat naps" throughout the day? When will you be returning to work? Full-time or part-time?

It's possible that Lucas has been going through a growth spurt. Babies usually experience these around 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months. Lucas will want to nurse more frequently in order to build up your milk supply to meet his new needs. As long as he is allowed to do this, the increased nursing usually subsides within a few days or a week.

Do you use a sling or similar baby carrier? Most infants want to be held *a lot* (no, you won't spoil him ). Lots of babies will happily nap (and nurse!) in a sling, and it lets you get things done too. It can be really frustrating to get a baby to sleep only to wake as soon as you set him down (waving my hand, BTDT!).

Lucas may also be reaching a mental milestone. He's smart enough to know he can't survive without you, so when he is alone he will cry for you. Newborns don't realize they are a separate entity from you. As they get older, they recognize Mom and Dad, but don't have a time sense or realize that even if you are out of sight you still exist. So a baby who realizes he is alone will fuss, because as far as he knows, you are gone forever. Some babies are more laid back (what grandmas call "good babies") and others are more insistent on human contact. I've had one of each and they just come that way.

The above is just to give you an idea of what babies expect, based on experience. (Babies don't come with instructions, unfortunately). If you could describe your general routine, we can help you brainstorm ideas to make naptimes and nighttimes easier.

Dawn

Right now Lucas sleeps in a bassinet in our room at night. In 24 hours I nurse about 8 times (approximately every 2 hours during the day. However on Thursday he nursed 11 times). He does not generally take little "cat naps," I'm going back to work on 4/16 and I'll be working from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

I think it may have been a growth spurt since he nursed 11 times on Thurs. It also turns out that my breasts have been extremely full overnight (kind of like when my milk first came in), once he nurses I feel much better. Also, he actually had a really good day and night yesterday. He napped from 11-12:45 and again from 2-4:30. Best of all, he had a great night. I actually had to wake him at 2 and 6:45 a.m. to eat (each feeding lasts about 40-mins to an hour).

I don't use my sling...he doesn't seem to like it. We do hold him and play a lot, but I also think that he's content entertaining himself in his bouncy or pack n play at times.

Also, I became kind of concerned that during his fussy days last week he seemed to be NEEDING his paci, so yesterday and today I've phased it out completely. He didn't need it to sleep last night and we haven't given it to him for any reason....

So...I'm crossing my fingers that it was a growth spurt and that he begins to get more sleep.

What do you think?

In addition what the other said...I find that giving my LO a bottle of EBM at night allows him to sleep longer. It tanks him up more than what he gets out of my breast. Some say there shouldn't be a difference, but honestly I think there is...so you may want to go back to giving him the EBM before going to bed.

I'm also trying to try some of the tips recommended by the Baby Whisperer in regards to long it takes for a baby to fall into deep sleep. It take about twenty minutes. So you may want to hold him for longer than you do know instead of just putting him down, until he gets old and knows how to fall asleep on his own. Borrow the book from your local library...it makes a lot a sense and will help your LO. Like she notes, babies thrives when they have some kind of a routine. I believe that and am trying to get there.
    Last edited by nywifey; April 1st, 2007 at 11:21 AM.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

My LO is doing the exact same thing and he is also 7 weeks...it is frustrating but don't feel like you are setting yourself up for a bad habit.

My dd who is now 4 was the EXACT SAME WAY at the same stage. Every day she was happiest in my arms, in the stroller etc. - everywhere except her crib and boy, I was always afraid that everything I was doing was wrong. She is now an independent little girl who went from 40 min 'power-naps' in my arms to 2 hr marathon naps in her own bed.

So now with my ds, I'm getting deja-vu!! He is right now fast asleep in my arms and I'm mastering the art of typing with one hand!!

It sounds like you've experienced another joy of parenthood-- you feel panicked over something different that your baby is doing, you find out all you can about it, and then your baby changes again!

It does sound like Lucas went through a growth spurt. It's also possible he was fighting a mild illness (I say this as my family is snuffling with allergies and colds). FYI, fully breastfed babies might not get obviously sick, but if a virus is "going around", the baby will often nurse more often for a few days. Your breastmilk provides fluids, easily digested nutrition, antibodies to the illness, and love all rolled into one. It's important to keep nursing if either of you are sick.

Since you will be returning to work, I encourage you to find a baby carrier you all like. It will help *a lot* when you are feeling in a time crunch. There are slings, pouches, mei tais, moby wraps, Ergo carriers and many, many, many more. Google baby carriers/slings or just browse the posters on this list.

You will find when you return to work that you will naturally slip into a routine. Get ideas from books and people, but do what works for your family. You may find that you like to keep Lucas up later at night so you can see him. Experiment. Lucas will likely nap some while you are away. Check out the forums dealing with working and breastfeeding too.

Good Luck!
    Dawn