Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump too much?

Default pump too much?

my four month old bf around every few hours (alot of comfort nursing) and sometimes at night he will remained latched on throughout the whole night. since i have been back to work, it seems that my ds uses around 4 4-6 oz bottles throughout a 12 hour nightshift. (i leave around 6pm and return home around 7:30 am, nursing right before i leave and as soon as i get home and shower). i did a day shift the other day, and he went thru 7 4-6 oz bottles. (i left around 6 am and returned home around 7:30 pm, nursing right before i left and as soon as i got home). now, i usually try and pump every 2 hours at work, varying between 3 to 6 oz each session, only pump for around 15 min., usually then milk has stopped flowing, try to pump for a few min. after flow stops. i only work 3 days a week, i am just wondering if what i am pumping is normal. i work in hospital, and we have employee pump room with hospital grade pump, and i have medela pis at home if i ever need to pump there. the lc and some of the rns on the floor have made comments that i pump too frequently, if i wait, and i have tried, i am leaking everywhere. the one time my ds was asleep when i left home, so it was like 5 hours since i nursed last, when i pumped i pumped 10 oz at one time. is this normal? i am also going to be doing more daylights, do you think i will have enough milk for them? ds used 7 bottles, and i only pump 6 in a 12 hour shift...never a problem for nightshift when he only uses 4. if i pump every 3 hours instead of every 2, will i still pump the same amount? (ex: instead of 6 4-6oz would i have 4 6-9 oz?)? sorry so long and so many ? also, i had alot of milk back up thru the tubing, that has never happended before. the lc at work suggested i change my valve flap things, i did, and it didn't help? that is the first time that has ever happened. thanks for all advice...

Default Re: pump too much?

WOW! 10 oz in 5 hours..... I am lucky if I get 3 oz in 4 hours! I average about 1.5 oz every hour and that is ONLY if I pump both! I hope one day I will be able to pump 10 oz!!!!

I am not an expert, but I have been told every person pumps a different amount. I would think that there is no pumping too much and any extra you can freeze for later.... I would also say you need to do what is most comfortable and as long as you are pumping what you child needs, then you are not pumping too much!

I leak all the time, except from 10:00 PM - 3:00 AM.... not sure why!