Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: maintaining supply after increasing

Default maintaining supply after increasing

I've always struggled to have an adequate milk supply. Every time I get it up and we're nursing up a storm it drops again and we're back to supplementing (with EBM) after nursing. It seems like if I'm not stuffing myself full of herbs, pumping 8-12x a day, and eating a million oatmeal cookies I cannot maintain a supply. We've done this over and over in the 5 months I've nursed and, frankly, I'm starting to lose my steam! It's up! It's down. It's up! It's down, etc.

LO has never been an enthusiastic eater but I have noticed that she will eat until content if I have very full breasts. Otherwise, she's not so interested after the first let down is over (even with switch feeding, etc).

Any suggestions? If not, any sympathy/empathy/comiseration would be greatly appreciated! LOL!

Default Re: maintaining supply after increasing

I'm sorry, I am having a hard time remembering, so if you could, remind me why/how you know you lose your supply at certain times?

Have we discussed things like:
    medications, return of period, etc??

I can go back and check the archives, then maybe you won't have to repeat yourself! I just wanted to bump this up and let you know I was reading it, and thinking about a response for you!

When you do switch nursing, do you also do breast compressions? Breast compressions increase the flow of your milk to your baby and help to keep her actively nursing for a longer period of time.

While your baby is nursing, pay attention to how she is sucking and swallowing. When baby is actively nursing, you will see her jaw moving, and you should be able to hear a soft "suck-swallow" pattern of sounds. When baby slows down her sucking and swallowing, hold your breast with a C-shaped hand and gently squeeze your breast. This increases the flow of milk to your baby, and you should notice her begin to actively nurse again. As she slows down again, release your breast and do another compression at a different angle. Continue to do this until baby will no longer actively nurse, pulls off the breast, or falls asleep. Then switch sides and repeat the process. Keep this up for as long as baby is willing. This may involve switching sides several times before baby is completely finished nursing. This is a great way to increase the total amount of milk your daughter is receiving at each feeding.

HTH,

Tiana

Yup, I've tried it all. She's never been a good eater and it's been a struggle from day 1. I have the potential to make enough milk but she loses interest quickly and once the milk slows, even with compressions or switch feeding, she will stop drinking and refuse to try any more. Then her diapers get drier and drier and I realize she isn't taking enough.

Now she is completely refusing to nurse except in the middle of the night. She screams bloody murder so I've been pumping to maintain supply and giving her EBM from my frozen stash which is fine. It's been 5 months of trying to make this work and I guess it's not going to go much farther, sadly. I have about 400 oz frozen so if I keep pumping I"m hoping to get her to 6 months on bm.

It's sad for me but I am tired of fighting this seemingly losing battle.

I don't have any advice, but I definitely know how you feel. I've had supply issues from the start. My DS doesn't gain weight if I don't supplement with formula (yucky!) I've never been able to pump more than an oz at a time total (usually it's about 1/4 oz from each side. ) I've tried everything and even the domperidone I'm on now doesn't seem to be doing much. It's so frustrating! I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing for as long as I can though. I know any amount of BM is better than none. Good luck to you!