Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biting! what to do?

Default Biting! what to do?

My dd is 7.5 mos. She typically does wonderful at nursing, however the last few evenings, she bit me towards the end of her feeding. She has never done this before. I'm not sure if it was just something she did at the moment, or if this will be a new pattern for her night time feedings?? Is there anything you can do to prevent the biting?

Thank you!

Gina

Default Re: Biting! what to do?

My baby is six months old and is doing the same. I´ve tried taking the breast away and letting her know it hurts but, it is not working. I am worried of what will happen when she gets her teeth.

My DD does this when her gums are bothering her... I can see two little white lines on her bottom gums, so I know teeth are just about to break through. I try to keep my finger ready to break the latch when it seems like she is slowing down in her feeding, that way I can take her off if she decides she wants to clamp down. Sometimes I'm not fast enough, but so far no major damage!

What also worries me is that she sometimes clamps on the breast and then tugs on it. But I have also noticed that she tends to do it when she is ending the feeding. What I noticed today that could be working, was pulling down her chin gently when it seemed that she was ready to do it.

Yeah, the clamping hurts! Especially when she pulls away, too. Ouch! Hopefully pulling on her chin will keep working for you guys... and it's probably a phase, so hang in there!

Yeah it always seems to be when they have gotten the edge off of their hunger and begin to think about making their gums feel better. My third LO did it for the 1st time the other day and man can they give a clamp even with no teeth!
    With my first two children, my pediatrition said when they do it, break the suction with your finger and slighlty poke the inside of their cheek, not hurting them, but relating something uncomfortable with the biting. It worked with my first two, but you never know, each child is different. It made my LO mad for a minute, but hopefully it will work.

Have a blessed day! Maria
    Romans 12:2

Wink Re: Biting! what to do?

Thank you mommys. I also think it's a fase that will hopefully pass.

When I took a breastfeeding class when I was preggo, they said it usually happens towards the end of a feeding, and just watch them. When you can tell they're nearing the end and starting to to get bored, it's fine to take them off before they bite. I'm really not looking forward to this, tho!

My lo started biting me at the end of her feedings in the morning. We co-sleep and when she was ready to get out of bed, she would bite me instead of nursing back to sleep. She didn't start that until she had 2 teeth and was working on 3 more at the same time. I would say "ouch, that hurts mama" and "no-no" when she did it-not really loud but enough so that she could tell the change in tone. I would also take the breast away at the same time.

She only did this for a few days then I guess she got the point.

My LO is also a bite. And a biter and pull of with a 'pop'! Ouchie! I too am dreading teeth!
    Last edited by Squirrel's Mummy; April 3rd, 2007 at 09:06 AM.