Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When and how to finally wean?

Unhappy When and how to finally wean?

Help! How do you know when it's the "right time" to wean? My 16 mo. ds will not take a sippy cup, or a bottle. Also never took a paci. He will drink water from Daddy's glass- but no milk. We are having growth issues (height) and I am confused about when & if to wean. We only nurse one time a day- first thing in the AM when he wakes. And this was child-led weaning, for the most part. I have mixed emotions about completely weaning him from the breast. I am feeling as if I am ready in some ways, but still feel sad and cry when I think about that last time I will nurse him. I don't know if I'll be able to do it.
    And, of course, not sure how to eliminate that last feeding. Do I just stop one day? The other morning, he seemed more interested in going downstairs to have is yogurt, fruit & cereal than to nurse. I thought that was a good sign that he may be ready. Any help and advice is appreciated.
    thank you!

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: When and how to finally wean?

If he is interested in something else, then just offer him something else... but if he asks to nurse, then nurse him. The whole "don't offer, don't refuse" seems to be the easiest way to go about the slow process of weaning... So, you don't offer to nurse, but if he asks for it, don't refuse him. That way, you'll know whether he really wants to nurse or if he's done.

I know it's a tough place to be emotionally... when DD was completely weaned, it really broke me up for several days...

Jacqui

I agree, just keep on following his lead.. we are at one last nursing a day too, and I don't think we need to do anything at all - our dc's will know when they are done. It's been a bit rough for me to keep at it lately but I know that it's a true need, even if it seems like such a small one to me, and it is really not all that hard for me to keep meeting that need until he is done when I think about what a short sweet time this is in his life.

I posted on a different thread last night, but I think this is pertinent. I decided to do our bedtime routine, and only nurse if my son asked for it because lately he's only been nursing for a minute or two. Anyway, if I didn't ask, I was just going to give him some extra cuddling instead. Well, he sort of just wanted to look around, and didn't ask to nurse, so I followed the plan, and he just went right to sleep. (He woke up about 15 minutes later, and before I even got to his room to check on him, he had fallen back to sleep). So far so good. We'll see how it goes in the morning. Anyway, that's what worked for me. I am a little sad that we're probably done, but I feel pretty confident that I let him take the lead and didn't force it on him, so that makes me feel a little better.
    good luck.

Hi Shelley,
    I read your post on the other thread and it sounds as if you are weaning gradually and with love, while paying attention to your son's needs! All good! As far as your question (from other thread) about substituting a drink of water or milk at night, you can certainly feel free to offer a drink of water to your ds. If you feel that he is missing the nutrition of that last nursing session before bed then you could offer a healthy snack before teeth brushing, but he may be just as content with your closeness-snuggle time, books, songs, etc. Sounds like things are going well. Keep us posted!

Thanks, Kate. So far so good for the first night--he is still sleeping (it's 6:30 AM and he usually gets up around 7:30.)
    How's it going, MartysMommy?