Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slave to the pump... pumping on time?

Default slave to the pump... pumping on time?

I am pumping exclusivly... and a working mum. Anyone else feeling they are ruled by the pump? I have to pump every 3 hours, for 15 min. (as I was advised by my lac consultant) I am hardly ever in time... I can't really leave in the middle of a meeting, or while I am driving, and sometimes I sleep through the night (and so does my baby), and by 5 am I feel like I have 2 big rocks strapped to me. How does that work if the baby sleeps through the night with BF mothers?

My hubby and my mum laugh because anytime I have to do anything "change dipes, laundry, eat, work, sleep. watch a movie, cook dinner) I say "wait, I have to pump first." And I have so much milk stored frozen I had to take some over to my brother's house to store, and I always have at least 8 bottles ready for him in the fridge.

I didn't mind at first... pumping and feeding since he wouldn't hold a latch after 6 weeks of trying... but man.... it's getting to me. At work I feel like a slacker some times.... while everyone is busy and we have deadlines.... I have to stop working for 20 minutes... and I am NEVER on time... sometimes it's 4 and a half hours or so before I get a chance.

I am so paranoid about my milk supply because I want to feed him breast milk for as long as it's best for him. But man..... I'd like to go to dinner and a movie somday without getting full and achy!
    Last edited by Ria; March 31st, 2006 at 11:59 PM.

Default Re: slave to the pump... pumping on time?

How old is your baby? How many total times per day are you pumping (average)?

Maybe you could try spacing your pumping sessions out a little at a time? Eventually, you'll be pumping a lot less frequently.

Also, if you need to be out, you could take a manual pump with you to express enough for comfort or you could even hand express into a toilet or sink.

he is 3 months. I thought about taking a hand pump along.... but I'd feelweird going into the bathroom and pumping ( I'm one of those poiepl who hate peeing when i'ts quiet and there are other people in the lav). I have the manual attatchments for my Pump in Style, but it's one at a time.

How's the one handed Advent?

Medela makes a car lighter adapter for the PIS. I haven't tried mine yet, but I take my pump everywhere I go just in case we aren't back before 3 hours. It has relieved a lot of that stress

I've used the car adaprter. My mum has a big escalade with tinted windows (she is so bling), and that was ok in there.. I was nly midly paranoid in the parkinglot.., but I have a little Scion Xa and would feel really self concious in that tiny car... low to the ground . Something about pumping in public... I dunno. But hey, it'd be worth a try.

Have you thought about hand expressing when you are out and about just to knock the edge off? It's easy once you got the hang of it.
    -k
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I hear ya.
    I am almost an exclusive pumper like yourself. My son will latch on but he never ate for long enough periods. So, we mostly bottle feed and he feeds in the early morning and evening for bits.
    I know what you mean about "... but before we do this or go there, I have to pump." I was pumping 6 or 7 times a day and was able to go 6 or 7 hours at night when he slept for long stretches but would pump in the middle of the night if I was up anyway.
    My son is now 6 months old (today) and a little over a month ago, my boss who was also an exclusive pumper a couple of years ago, suggested that I try waiting longer in between. I had been pumping 2-3 times at work and was complaining to her about the time I was spending pumping. So, I started waiting longer (it was alittle uncomfortable at first) and I finally got down to pumping 3 times per day but the catch is that I have to pump for 20+ minutes each time. I pump before going to work, once at 2 pm, and before bed. It's been working well for me and haven't had too many plugged ducts like I was having when I was pumping for shorter periods and more often.
    So, instead of quitting the exclusive pumping today (6 months), I decided that since I am only pumping 3 times a day and can produce the same amount of milk, I can continue for longer.

I am happy that I can still supply my son with the best nourishment and not drive myself crazy.

good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Karen

Nathaniel's Mommy
    10/14/05

Quote Originally Posted by Ria
    sometimes I sleep through the night (and so does my baby), and by 5 am I feel like I have 2 big rocks strapped to me. How does that work if the baby sleeps through the night with BF mothers?
    uh-huh -- 2 big painful rocks for BF mothers as well!

I'm having the pumping on time issue at work today! Should have pumped an hour ago, but nobody will cover the phones for me. Getting uncomfortable now!!

My daughter is now 17 months old, and I pumped fullt ime for her from 4 motnhs through 12 months. She stopped nursing well after mouth surgery at 11 weeks, and after working with her to latch again, she outright stipped at 4 months. I was a slave to the pump, but
    I wanted her to have bmilk as long as I could make it, as she was born with a cleft lip, and I knew she would have two surgeries in her 1st yr of life. I went through two pumps- PIS and a new PISA. I has battery packs and car adapters. I pumped every 3-4 hours, and was afraid to stop. It wasn't until out freezer was full, my moms deep freezer had two shelves full, and I had to use my sister's freezer that I felt comfortable slowing down. I think because we as moms put our minds to it, we won't stop until we feel like we've accomplished our goals. Our daughter made it through both surgeries, and a scar isn't even visible; our dr says its because of bmilk. Yes, I was a slave, but it's worth it in the long end!!