Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slow flow at night

Question slow flow at night

Lately (last two nights) my 6 week LO is really fussy at night. She cries and fusses while still on my breast. I initially thought it was gas, but she's still fussy after I burp her. I know milk is coming out b/c I see it in her mouth when I unlatch her and milk comes out when I hand express. I even switch breasts thinking maybe she wants the other, but it doesn't help. Her midnight feeding lasted until 2:30 am this morning because I couldn't get her to calm down and she would just cry and fuss at my breast. I finally gave in and fed her EBM which calmed her down. I think I read somewhere that our flow slows down in the evening. Is this true? I think my DD is an impatient eater but don't want to have to give her a bottle every night. Has anyone else had to deal or currently dealing with this problem? If so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: slow flow at night

hi there!

i had the exact same problem (7 week old) and couldn't figure out if it was slow flow or OALD.

i still haven't completely isolated the problem but found out today he has a mild case of thrush (his tongue has the white layer that can't be scraped off) and that this could be the cause of the fusiness especially if the milk is coming out slower at night.

i don't know if this is correct but i am right there with you

This is a regular thing every night? Many babies start to have a "fussy time" around this age, and most outgrow it by the time they are 3 months or so. Mothers often find they just have to experiment to see what works for their individual babies. Hopefully some other mothers will chime in with ideas
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hi! LactoJen may be on to something. What you describe sounds so much like my daughter's "fussy time." Fussy time lasted between 7 and 10 o'clock each night from about 3 weeks until she was about 3 months old. She would grow really frustrated- I think she was too tired to eat and too hungry to sleep- and would scream and reject the breast for anywhere between 1 and 3 hours. Ugh! Eventually my husband and I resorted to feeding her a bottle of pumped milk, after which she would sleep. We had the bottle ready at 7 o'clock promptly. I would offer the breast first, but if she became too frustrated we'd give her the bottle. Eventually she outgrew the bottle completely. HTH!

It could be lower supply, our supply usually is the lowest in the evening (at least I know mine is!). You said you don't want to do a bottle every night but I know people who make a nighttime bottle part of the routine. and if you have someone else who can give that bottle you may even get a bit more sleep. of course you would need to pump while she's getting the bottle but it sounds like that would take a lot less time than what you've been doing!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I would suggest that you don't use a bottle during this time. Many young babies will suck on a bottle, even if they aren't hungry. If baby is refusing the breast, I would suggest trying some other means to comfort her. Here are some ideas that have worked for other mothers:

--wearing baby in a sling
    --taking baby for a walk in sling or stroller--or just changing rooms in the house. Sometimes a change of scenery can help
    --singing to the baby
    --dancing with the baby
    --taking a warm bath with baby
    --carrying her in different positions
    --letting Daddy or another person try to comfort the baby.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by fergie830 View Post
    It could be lower supply, our supply usually is the lowest in the evening (at least I know mine is!). You said you don't want to do a bottle every night but I know people who make a nighttime bottle part of the routine. and if you have someone else who can give that bottle you may even get a bit more sleep. of course you would need to pump while she's getting the bottle but it sounds like that would take a lot less time than what you've been doing!
    I know that some mothers do this, and some mothers find that it works for them, HOWEVER, I do not recommend trying this because sometimes feeding a bottle instead of nursing can really backfire and cause more problems than fix.

Milk volume might be lower in the evening, but fat content is higher (making for more filling meal). Feeding more in the evening means you'll make more overall. The rule of supply and demand never takes a vacation.

I suggest continuing to do some detective work, and looking to figure out what is at the core of your baby's fussiness. I'm sure you will find an answer!

Here's a few links to get you started:
    www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

Baths really helped us. If she still fussed, the techniques recommended by Happiest Baby on the Block worked, too. That, and just knowing that this is common and to be expected.

I recently had the same problem with my son. I spoke to the LC who thought he could be going through a growth spurt and wanting more milk. She said it can take a woman's body about 24 hours to start producing more milk from when the baby demands it. Since your daughter is 6 weeks, could that be the issue? My son wasn't fussy at every feeding.

Here's what she told me to do...

1. Breastfeed often
    2. Offer the breast (go to the other one when baby gets fussy-as you already do)
    3. Offer BM in a bottle to satisfy the hunger
    4. Pump for about 12 minutes (10 min. and then about 2 min. beyond when you stop seeing milk)
    5. Do this for about a 24 hour period (don't do it during the sessions that baby is content at the breast)

This will satisfy your baby's hunger, and it will also signal your body to produce more milk. I followed this routine for about 6 feeding sessions (not even a 24 hour period), and I could tell I was producing more milk and my son was more content.

My daughter was like this until she was into her third month. Nurse a little, pull away and cry, repeat, then just cry. At first I thought she wasn't getting milk, but I figured out this was just her "fussy time." It wasn't at 5 or 6 in the evening like everyone said it would be. It was more like 1 am to 3 am. We just came to expect this every night and would do our best to calm her, walking, rocking, bathing and nursing on and off. It won't last for long! I hope you can sleep in sometimes!