Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Think I am losing my supply!?!

Default Think I am losing my supply!?!

For the past 2 weeks, I had come down with a mild flu twice in a row. Since then, my supply seemed to have dipped. Baby (10 months) has been eating every hour or 1.5 hours, even in the night. He used to go 2.5 -3 hours between feeds.

My breasts never feel full, even if he should go for 4 hours without feeding. And I noticed he is really drinking only part of the time. That might be because he is just sucking for comfort (breaking 4 teeth now in one go).

His diaper output seems lesser than before. I don't know if I am imagining it, but they used to feel heavier.

How can I know for sure if I am losing my supply??
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Default Re: Think I am losing my supply!?!

keep your fluids up and take it as easy as you can - nurse often and it should pick back up. Mine did the same thing when I was sick and it took about 3 full days to pick up after i got to feeling 100% again.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

When my LO was 4 months I came down with a nasty flu and my supply really suffered. BUT it came back and yours will too! Nurse as much as possible and drink a lot of water. Also if you eat oatmeal that will help. Hang in there!

Hi.

That is so common when you are sick and it doesn't help that you end up having to miss much needed rest to tend to your lo because he/she wants to nurse. One question that came to mind was if you were taking anything? I had a horrible cold/sinus thing and was miserable. The ped told me I could take Sudafed (low dose) and it would be safe for bfeeding. I did and was having a horrible time with supply. My girlfriend told me that her doctor told her that those not only dry up your nose, but your supply as well. I stopped taking the meds and kept nursing like a champ and my supply was back better than ever. Take it easy..drink and get any rest you can! I know it isn't fun or easy, but you will get through it!

Best of Luck!

Megan

Unhappy Re: Think I am losing my supply!?!

Hi. I'm running into some trouble breastfeeding. I have a baby boy, Mateo, who is 6 weeks, 3 days old. My supply was great, but I don't know what happened --the past 2-3 days, I feel, like I'm practically dry. Before my breasts felt full and a little hard, then when he nursed, they were obviously drained...now, they are mooshy all the time...I'm really sad and don't know what is causing this. I feel even worse for him because I know he is hungry. He has also been very fussy and not sleeping. I believe this is a growth spurt time. I had my husband give him a bottle, and he gulped it down. What could be causing this decrease in my supply all of a sudden? Please help. Thanks so much.

Hi ladies!

Dorothy, the pp's are SO right: get lots of rest, stay hydrated, and nurse as much as possible. Your supply will pick up as you recover, which I hope will be speedily!

nbruno22- if you're feeding on demand, not supplementing, and your baby is having plenty of wet and dirty diapers and is gaining weight, then your supply is okay. At 6 weeks, your supply may be adjusting to meet your baby's needs precisely, without much extra. 6 weeks is also a prime time for a growth spurt, during which your baby may be drinking everything you have, and nursing so frequently that you never get that full feeling. I wouldn't be surprised if your baby took a bottle even after nursing- bottles are so easy for babies. You might consider taking a "nursing vacation," which means shelve your commitments, take the baby to bed, get undressed, and nurse nurse nurse! That constant stimulation can really help your supply pick up.

You guys are great! Momma1- thanks for the reply. It's hard not to think that something is "wrong"-- I do nurse on demand, but still feel like I'm not giving him enough. Like you say, he is probably going through a growth spurt. What do you do if he still seems hungry after you give both breasts? How long should I expect this to last? Will my supply adjust to meet his needs? Or is that what happened? And, just now is a growth spurt where he needs more? Will my breasts continue to be soft all the time?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Hi nbrunno22! I know what you mean when you say it's hard not to think that something is wrong. It can be so difficult to trust your own body. I think that's why so many mommas end up bottlefeeding- there's no mystery. You can watch the formula go into the baby, and not have to wonder. I used to wish my breasts were transparent, with little ounce markers on the side...

Anyway, if you nurse on demand, your supply will eventually catch up with demand. Most growth spurts last for a few days, as far as I know. You'll know when it is over when he stops demanding so much so often. Just keep offering the breast- go from side A to side B and then back to side A (And so on!) if the baby is still hungry. By the time the baby has finished side B, there may be a whole new letdown's worth of milk ready in side A. Your breasts may seem softer for a good long while, but there will probably still be times when you fill up again like before- when your baby starts sleeping long stretches at night, or naps through a feeding during the day. You can expect fluctuations in supply, but don't worry! Your baby is doing exactly what he should in order to regulate them. Just watch his diaper output and, if you are really worried, take him in to the pediatrician for a weight check to make sure he's gaining weight.