Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: massive weight loss from breastfeeding?

Default massive weight loss from breastfeeding?

My best friend is beginning the process of weaning her 14 month old. She has over the past several months gone from a size 12 to a size 6. She does not want to be this thin. She blames this on nursing - although most moms I know have trouble losing that extra baby weight until they stop nursing. She thinks she'll be ok once she stops nursing - but I think something else is going on. Has anyone else had troubles keeping weight on while nursing?

Default Re: massive weight loss from breastfeeding?

I lost an extra 10 pounds (before pregnancy I was 125 pounds, now I'm down to 115 pounds--dd is 10 months). I'm about 2 sizes smaller than pre-pregnancy (I was about a size 10 now I'm a 6), so I guess going from a 12 to a 6 isn't that crazy. But if she can't explain it and keeps losing, I personally might see a doctor...

I agree with you! She was a normal size 12 - and she says she doesn't want to be this thin. (Personally, I can't imagine not being able to gain weight - this has never been a problem with me.) She is self-conscious about her body and has even changed her hair because her face is so thin. The people I know who have nursed longer than a year couldn't lose that extra weight until they stopped. Thanks for your post!

I tried to diet and lost weight so quickly that I was rather frightened, so I can well see your friend's scenario. I now make sure I have some goodies every day and the weight is still coming off, but slowly. I'm breastfeeding two. After my first child was born, the weight just stuck to me like tar...

Anyway, maybe what your friend needs is some delicious recepies for chocolate cheesecake and suchlike?

It's not terribly uncommon for women to have some flutuations in their thyroid function in the year following childbirth. Sometimes these right themselves, sometimes medical intervention is necessary to get over the hurdle to being normal again. Thyroid function can have alot to do with weight gain and loss issues. Probably a good thing for your friend to talk to her physician and to request a thyroxin and FT4 blood test to check....
    Jsmom

I lost all of the baby weight (66 lbs!) and an additional 15 within a few months of my baby's birth, so it's very possible to go from a 12 to a 6 just because of breastfeeding, although, unlike your friend, I loved it, lol! I was a serious milk machine and leaked constantly with engorgement and the whole bit, but once the supply evened out -- at, no joke, 11 months -- the dramatic weight loss slowed down. But perhaps she should make sure there isn't anything like a thyroid problem going on, and eat a few more calories.

Hi!
    I agree with everyone else, it's not uncommon to lose weight while BFing. BFing burns a lot calories, some even compare it with a daily 1/2 hr jog.

Yes! Yes! Yes! With my first Son I couldn't keep the weight on. The day he was born I weighed 165. We exclusively breastfed and he was huge! (20 lb by 9 weeks!!!!) So yeah, I lost ALOT of weight. My normal weight is 105. By the time my Son was 4 months old I weighed around 85 lb.! While I was extremly happy I lost the weight, it was too much. When he started to eat foods, I began to gain my weight back. I now have 3 kids. Youngest is 16 months old. I still weigh around 105. Breastfeeding has been wonderful for taking off the weight! My last baby has been small. She's just now 20 lb! So it took a little longer for her to suck off the weight, but it did happen. I don't know what will happen when she weans. (I've been pregnant or nursing for almost 8 years straight!) But I'm assuming I'll gain a few pounds when she does wean. (BTW, I'm only 4' 11...so 105 is a healthy weight for me.) Hope this helps.