Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clogged duct reduced supply

Default Clogged duct reduced supply

I had a clogged duct for the first time in 8 months and did not know what it was, and finally was able to get it out yesterday after 4 days of this. I pump at work and the output had been horrible on that breast, and now I'm scared I've done permanent damage since I didn't know what it was and waited to long to get it out. Pumping output has been about half what I normally get. Is there hope that supply will come back in that breast? Or did my lack of knowledge on how to treat this due too much damage?

Default Re: Clogged duct reduced supply

I'm sure it's not too late! Can you pump more on that side? Like, keep pumping on that side after you're done doing both?

Maybe look into Fenugreek or oatmeal or both. I don't know that you need to get too drastic.

Oh, and I'd have the baby always start a feeding on that side for a while. They suck more urgently at first, so it might help get the supply up. That's what I try and do with my right side, which produces much less than my left.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Hi,

Some moms do notice a temporary dip in their milk supplies after a plugged duct or breast infection. Just keep nursing like crazy, especially on the affected side, and you should have your milk supply back up to speed in no time.

Remember, breastfeeding works on the principle of supply and demand. The more baby nurses, the more milk you will make.

HTH,

Tiana

When I had an infection, my supply went WAY down on that side. However, it worked itself back up just fine. I think it did take a week or so to build back up. Just nurse and pump a little more on that side and i think things will work out just fine.