Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP!! Can't get spoon in mouth with fingers in there too!!

Unhappy HELP!! Can't get spoon in mouth with fingers in there too!!

My dd started solids about a week and a half ago (shes almost 6 months old). She loves to suck on her fingers, and now each time she eats her solids, she stuffs those fingers in her mouth. We have to struggle to keep her hands down so the food will actually go into her mouth. Does anyone else have these problems? Is this a bad habit and how can we break it? When she does get the food into her mouth she swallows and does great. HELP! Thanks for any advice
    Mommy to gorgeous Ella Jean born 10/6/2006

Default Re: HELP!! Can't get spoon in mouth with fingers in there too!!

Have you considered letting your DD feed herself? Check out the threads in the solids forum on "baby led" solids.

I've tried both using a spoon and letting my DS feed himself. At least for us, my DS is much happier (although very messy) feeding himself. One of his favorites right now is sweet potato that I've cooked and given him mushy chunks that he can pick up and mush around and feed himself.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I agree with the PP- let your LO feed herself! Some babies are just too independent for classic spoon-feeding. Alternately, you could try filling your baby's hands. I give my daughter, a dedicated self-feeder, one spoon for each hand. While she holds and plays with her spoons, I can sometimes get a third spoon in her mouth, or I can put a dab of food on one of her spoons, which sometimes gets in her mouth. Good luck!

Yep, sounds to me like your LO wants to be more in control, and loves the different feeling of the textures on her fingers!

Yes, you can hold their hands down, but it makes for an awfully frustrating feeding session for your child (and for you!).

Lisa

Is there a tooth comming in? Mine sucks on his fingers much more often when there's a new tooth. My son could not feed himself at 6mo, but he once he could, he insisted on it. Before that, we had the finger in the mouth problem too. Feeding babies is messy! Sure makes you miss the "simple" stick a boob in the mouth days! My mother used to hold my hands down, but I don't do that with DS. Eventually, they get better and eating gets less messy. Until then, just do the best you can with the fingers.