Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I try again?

Question Should I try again?

Hi ladies! I know that a lot of you helped me through my BFing problems, but I did end up giving up. I am now regretting my decision. I am debating whether or not I should try again. I've been reading up on relactation, and I know that it is possible but I'm wondering if I will be successful. I haven't BF'd since Monday morning. After I quit BFing my DS, I developed post-partum depression, and I'm afraid I'm headed there again. I felt that I had to give up BFing this time simply because I couldn't do it exclusively. No matter what I did, it always seemed to hurt. So, in turn, I was BF 2-3 times per day, pumping, and bottlefeeding. All of that effort exhausted me and I felt like it was taking too much time away from my 2 y/o DS. Am I crazy for wanting to try all of this again? Has anyone else out there felt this way? I KNOW that both my DH and my mom will think that I am crazy, and I probably won't have much support if I do chose to try again. DD is taking the bottle well, and tolerating formula fine, but she leans in towards my breast at every feeding and it breaks my heart. I wanted so badly for BFing to work this time, and I feel like a failure. What should I do? My DD is going to be eight weeks old on Monday.
    Last edited by muffin; March 31st, 2006 at 08:41 PM.

Default Re: Should I try again?

I want to encourage you to keep going. If your daughter is going towards the breast, that is wonderful! Your little one is so young. There is still a chance. Don't listen to those voices that try and discourage you. I have been there myself. If you could somehow get away from the bottles to supplement until your supply meets up to BF full time, that would be helpful. You could use a lactation aid such as the Lact-Aid or SNS. Be sure to only use if AFTER BF though. Don't use it all through the feeding. I did that and it was a BIG mistake. Madela recommends that, but in the case of just supplementing, it really is not helpful at all. I would BF first, then supplement until the baby is satisfied, and then pump for about 15 min. on a double pump. Over time, your supply will meet the demand and you can ditch the lact aid and pumps. Keep hanging in there. It shouldn't take too long with your little one being so tiny still. Take care!

Muffin,
    It is wonderful that you are feeling like you want to try again. If dd is leaning in toward your breast you can start putting her to the breast to nurse and see what happens. Do this every and any time you can. In the mean time, you would need to pump 8-12/24 hours with a hospital grade pump to aid in relactation. How long has it been since you stopping nursing/pumping completely? LLL suggests that it will typically take a mother that long (as long as she has been NOT nursing) to relactate. If you really want to try, you shouldn't have much trouble bringing your milk back. Just think, mothers who adopt babies can bring in a milk supply-you have more going for than them! You were making milk LAST week! Good luck and keep us posted!

i don't know much professional advice, but i say to put her to that boobie anytime she wants it, anytime you can!
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by jesus.was.breastfed
    i don't know much professional advice, but i say to put her to that boobie anytime she wants it, anytime you can!
    I couldn't have put it better myself!
    LOL

LLLnormaR

As an adoptive breastfeeding momma ... it's never too late to start breastfeeding
    ~Shannon