Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Less nipple pain but still some...

Red face Less nipple pain but still some...

I know that with time breastfeeding should no longer be painful. However, my dd is 10 days and the BF is going well (also pumping) but there is still some pain. The pain is more when she first latches on and then it is much more tolerable. My question is will there come a time when there is no pain at all? My nipples are sore but the Lanolin helps alot.

Tiffiany

Default Re: Less nipple pain but still some...

Pain at latch on usually means that something should be "tweaked" with latch/positioning. Maybe try assuring that your baby is in a comfortable position (bring her to YOU, don't lean over her), and that her mouth is open WIDE.

the pain will go away, i promise you! As long as you have bb latched on correctly, as pp states. if i somehow became pain free, you will too. i was in alot of pain for a long time, but now i am loving bf and it doesn't hurt at all keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by dcnsluvinmama
    the pain will go away, i promise you! As long as you have bb latched on correctly, as pp states. if i somehow became pain free, you will too. i was in alot of pain for a long time, but now i am loving bf and it doesn't hurt at all keep it up!
    I totally agree with the above. I had pain with initial latch on for at least 4 weeks, but now I don't even feel it and often have to check to make sure he's even latched on. Hang in there, these babies do get the hang of things and it will get better.

I agree with her mouth being open WIDE, that makes all the difference in the world (for me anyway). If not, she has a tendancy to suck my nipple in, which REALLY hurts. I usually drag my nipple over her mouth a few times, and next thing I know she's like a bird with her mouth open as wide as she can get it. LOL.

Mine hurt for 2 weeks - and then it got better.

Pain at latch doesn;t always mean the latch is off - my dd just had a super hard suction - which I would feel 10 fold at latching.

I used to have dh pull her bottom jaw open gently while she latched to get her mouth open wide and then immediately place my finger under her chin to get her tongue into place - and then we were fine.

Lansolin is good - as is shark fin oil.

I'm on week 2 and mine stil hurt as well...but I've noticed it's worse when my daughter is really eager to eat and she sucks super hard, pulling on the nipple more so than when she's not overly hungry. I've started sticking my finger in her mouth first to let her get some her energy out, then offering the breast.

I'm using Lanolin too and it helps a little...today I actually feel a little bit better than yesterday. I can actually put the flaps up on my nursing bra!