Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help - Trying To Stop Breastfeeding

Default Please Help - Trying To Stop Breastfeeding

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone can help me, my twins are 4 1/2 wks and I've been trying to breastfeed but haven't been successful since I don't have any support and I'm just too exhausted. They wouldn't latch on (I had a lactation consultant come twice) so I've been pumping but only 1 time / day at 2 ounces(from both breasts) usually because I'm so tired. I'm having difficulty taking care of my babies and I've decided to stop. Can anyone tell me the safest way to stop. Do I have to empty out my breasts completely, since i've never properly breastfed, my flow is weak I can't really tell when to stop pumping.
    Thanks,
    Josi

Default Re: Please Help - Trying To Stop Breastfeeding

I wouldn't empty the breasts completely because that would encourage more milk production. Try to pump to just feel comfortable, and all in all you should pump less and less each day.

Taking care of a newborn, let alone twins, is overwhelming (breastfeeding or not), things will get better with time. Good luck!

My suggestion is to phone your local LLL Leader, who will be available for specific questions and may be of help in this situation.

And I know you said that you've decided to quit and I understand being overwhelmed, but I'd also like to suggest talking to the local LLL also about coming to help you with latch...you may get some new info and you're guaranteed to get the support that you seem to be in need of
    Last edited by LLLErin; April 1st, 2006 at 04:41 PM.

To stop producing milk, try to do as little nursing or pumping as possible. If you absolutely can't stand it, you could express milk for just a minute, just enough to take the edge off the pressure. Wear a supportive bra, use ice packs or cabbage leaves. Many mothers find that ibuprofen helps with pain/swelling. Your breasts should feel much better in 48 hours.

Four and a half weeks of mother's milk is a great start for your babies. If you feel any sadness or regret, that is normal, so don't beat yourself up! Good luck and enjoy your beautiful babies!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the helpful advice. I really appreciate it.
    I've decided to pump for another 2 wks just so my boys can complete 2 months of breastfeeding.
    thanks again everyone

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Good for you for trying as hard as you can!

Have you checked out the forum here for bf-ing multiples? You might get some specific ideas for getting through from the moms there.

Also, a book that many of my friends who have twins have liked is called "Mothering Multiples". It might be worth checking out.

Jacqui

Happy,

It's great that you are doing this for your boys. Two months of breastmilk is a great achievement!

Good for you, nursing twins for the first couple of months! You're giving them a great start in life!

Breastfeeding your baby for even a day is the best baby gift you can give. Breastfeeding is almost always the best choice for your baby. If it doesn't seem like the best choice for you right now, these guidelines may help.

IF YOU NURSE YOUR BABY FOR JUST A FEW DAYS, he will have received your colostrum, or early milk. By providing antibodies and the food his brand-new body expects, nursing gives your baby his first - and easiest - "immunization" and helps get his digestive system going smoothly. Breastfeeding is how your baby expects to start, and helps your own body recover from the birth. Why not use your time in the hospital to prepare your baby for life through the gift of nursing?

IF YOU NURSE YOUR BABY FOR FOUR TO SIX WEEKS, you will have eased him through the most critical part of his infancy. Newborns who are not breastfed are much more likely to get sick or be hospitalized, and have many more digestive problems than breastfed babies. After 4 to 6 weeks, you'll probably have worked through any early nursing concerns, too. Make a serious goal of nursing for a month, call La Leche League or a Lactation Consultant if you have any questions, and you'll be in a better position to decide whether continued breastfeeding is for you.

Source: http://www.parentingweb.com/lounge/dw_wean.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Happy
    Hi
    I was wondering if anyone can help me, my twins are 4 1/2 wks and I've been trying to breastfeed but haven't been successful since I don't have any support and I'm just too exhausted. They wouldn't latch on (I had a lactation consultant come twice) so I've been pumping but only 1 time / day at 2 ounces(from both breasts) usually because I'm so tired. I'm having difficulty taking care of my babies and I've decided to stop. Can anyone tell me the safest way to stop. Do I have to empty out my breasts completely, since i've never properly breastfed, my flow is weak I can't really tell when to stop pumping.
    Thanks,
    Josi
    Hi Josi

I know how hard twins are, mine are 9 1/2 mos. Those first few weeks are really hard, and 2 babies who dont latch is even worse (again, I have been there). It sounds like you have decided to quit bf'ing. If that is the case, please know that you have done what is best for your twins for the first 4 weeks and follow the advice that others have given. If you are still unsure, please post over in the breastfeeding multiples area where more moms can help you out, also, please find an LLL leader in your area to help with the latches.

Good luck with your decision.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here