Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 Month Old, Lower Supply

Angry 10 Month Old, Lower Supply

My 10-month old has been breastfed and eats solids very well during the day. He breastfeeds 4 times during the day (3-4 hour intervals, or more if his nap is long) and once in the early morning. Essentially, he sleeps through the night, waking up to eat at 4 or 5 am. Also, I am about to return to work but would like to continue BF till at least 1 year old (without supplementing, so this means that I will have to pump at work) and then continue BF in the morning and evening when I am at home.

Lately, I noticed that my supply is a bit low in the evening. Also, when I stop pumping at work (after the child is one year old), my supply will also probably drop off. I would like to ask a few things:

1. Do I have to pump in the evening to increase supply (I tried, but only several drops come out)?

2. If I bf my child more often during the day to increase supply, will that wreck his nice schedule of having 4 meals a day? Life is so easy with these planned 4 meals...

3. When I stop pumping at work, will I have milk for him in the evening and morning, or will supply disappear after a couple of weeks?

Default Re: 10 Month Old, Lower Supply

Do I have to pump in the evening to increase supply (I tried, but only several drops come out)?
    If you want to increase your supply in the evening you'll need to increase your breast stimulation either through nursing (recommended) or pumping. May I ask why you feel your supply is low?

If I bf my child more often during the day to increase supply, will that wreck his nice schedule of having 4 meals a day? Life is so easy with these planned 4 meals...
    Prior to age 1 the vast majority of baby's calories should come from breastmilk. I understand that your baby is eating 4 meals of solid foods a day so you want to be sure that solid foods aren't taking the place of breastmilk. If they are, you may want to consider backing off on the solids for a few months (until he turns 1) and increasing nursing. Baby should be nursed prior to offering of solids so that his intake of solids will be minimal. So, if you nurse more then yes, he'll probably take in fewer solids. You could still do the 4 meals of solids, just offer less of them during those times.

When I stop pumping at work, will I have milk for him in the evening and morning, or will supply disappear after a couple of weeks?
    You'll still have milk for your baby in the evening and morning. Many mom's still continue to nurse on demand on their days off as well. I do this and while I go into Saturday having less milk, my body catches up by Sunday.

HTH!

Carol,

Thank you so much for responding to my query and for your time, of course.

1. I feel my supply is low in the evening because I know I have so much more milk in the morning (maybe 3 or 4 times as in the evening).

2. Unfortunately, I will only be able to nurse full-time for the next 2 weeks only. Then it will be pumping at work. Also, baby dropped from 75% in weight at 2 months to about 25% at 8 months, and started taking a lot more solids since he started sleeping through the night. I give solids as long as my baby is interested - are you saying I would withhold even though he is interested in eating more? Also, I ALWAYS BF before giving solids.

I feel my supply is low in the evening because I know I have so much more milk in the morning (maybe 3 or 4 times as in the evening).
    It's very normal for your supply to be higher in the morning than in the evening. This happens to almost every nursing woman, actually. The only indication that your milk supply is low is no weight gain in baby. And a good indication that baby may not be gaining weight is lack of sufficient wet diapers.

Unfortunately, I will only be able to nurse full-time for the next 2 weeks only. Then it will be pumping at work. Also, baby dropped from 75% in weight at 2 months to about 25% at 8 months, and started taking a lot more solids since he started sleeping through the night. I give solids as long as my baby is interested - are you saying I would withhold even though he is interested in eating more? Also, I ALWAYS BF before giving solids.
    It's common for breastfed babies to slow down in their weight gain during the 2nd half of the first year so don't gauge your milk supply on weight chart percentiles. Weight charts are a nice tool but they cannot be relied upon as an accurate reflection of how your baby is doing. Weight isn't everything. Also, there are a variety of weight charts in use today -- some are based on formula-fed babies. Here's some information about growth charts -- http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gSep99p75.html -- scroll down to the part that says "Baby not gaining sufficient weight to maintain health"

Giving solid foods to a 10 month old baby is perfectly acceptable, however, as I mentioned before, the vast majority of baby's calories need to come from breastmilk. If your baby is interested in solids then by all means, it's suggested that they be offered them but offered sparingly so that baby is getting most of his calories from your breastmilk. It's great that you always nurse before offering the solids

Also, regarding your milk supply -- if baby hasn't been nursing in the evenings then your supply will decrease during that time but it will increase if baby wants more. The very best thing to do is simply follow your baby's cues and allow him to nurse on demand.

And as I mentioned before, you can nurse your baby in the morning and after work throughout your work week (and pump while you are at work if you want). But if/when you decide to stop pumping at work, you'll still be able to nurse baby on demand on your day's off.

HTH more!
    Last edited by LLLCarol; March 31st, 2006 at 08:36 PM.