Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Here

Default New Here

Hi Everyone,
    My name is Rachel. I am new here. I feel very blessed that I was able to bf my now 7 month old for this long, as I was unable to bf my first son for more than 3 weeks. I became ill last Saturday. I bf through Saturday, then Saturday evening I spiked a fever. We called J's pediatrician and he said I needed to supplement formula because the milk I was producing was not really that good because I was sick. Over the last couple of days I still bf off and on but was so ill Saturday night that I wasn't able to bf or pump. Combine that with the fact that I couldn't keep ANYTHING down, including water and you can imagine my caloric intake was next to nothing. It is now Tuesday and I am still having some difficulty eating as I have no appetite. Well, now my milk has dwindled down to nothing. I am putting J on the breast any chance I get but there just seems to be nothing there. Is there hope? Can I build my supply back up at this point? I am not ready to quit bfing and J isn't either. I have had to supplement a few bottles of formula because I don't want him to starve. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciate. I am not ready to give up.

**ETA** Also, should I still supplement formula or just put J to the breast? I am just concerned if not much is coming out then he will be hungry.
    Last edited by mom2jonahandjace; March 28th, 2007 at 12:21 PM. Reason: another question

Default Re: New Here

uggg you got bad advice from your doctor!
    just keep putting baby to the breast as much as he is willing and you'll be making milk!
    Try to eat and drink even if you don't feal like it.
    I always let my kids have a treat of pop when they are sick! Sometimes that all you can keep down.
    Try ice chips to or frozen pops.
    hope you are fealing beter soon.

Andrea, thank you replying. I've been trying to drink as much water as I can, but I wasn't sure if the fact that I am not eating is contributing to my milk decreasing.

I'm so sorry your pediatrician told you that! Just keep nursing as much as you can and your supply should start to come back!

If you are not able to nurse or pump right now, try to get your LO skin to skin and loads of cuddle time. Your hydration is very important, if you can hold down water mixed with a little Gatorade it really does help (esp. if you are having any diarrhea or vomiting you are loosing electrolytes esp. potassium). If you don't like Gatorade, you can also use this (from the U.S. Pharmacist website):

½ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    8 teaspoons sugar
    8 ounces orange juice
    Dilute to 1 liter with water

Thought you might find these helpful:

Breastfeeding when you are sick

Should I breastfeed if I am sick

Increasing your supply

Hope you are feeling better soon!!!

Grrr...I'm so sorry you were told not to breastfeed when you were sick. When you have a fever, cold, or flu, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't continue to breastfeed. Your milk is NOT "bad". In fact, continuing to breastfeed during your illness can actually reduce your baby's chances of getting sick, because he receives antibodies that fight against the illness through your milk.

Ditto what previous posters have said. Do your best to rest and stay hydrated, and just keep nursing your baby. To make sure that baby is getting enough milk, count wet and poopy diapers. Baby should be having 6-8 wet cloth diapers per day (5-6 really wet disposables) and about 2-3 bms. At this age, bms can be less frequent, so volume is important. If baby is only having one bm every day or two, it should be a "big one".

I hope you're feeling better soon. Keep us posted!

Tiana