Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6M old LOVES solids, I'm afraid he'll stop nursing!

Default 6M old LOVES solids, I'm afraid he'll stop nursing!

I've been nursing my 6 M old since birth with just a few bottles here and there early on. Once he got to 3 M he decided he didn't like bottles at all so we EBF. Around 5 months he started really showing signs that he wanted to eat food. So I gave him cereal and he was ecstatic!! He gobbled it down and it was clear his tongue thrust reflex was gone. At 5.5 months I tried lowering the amount of cereal and offering him some pureed veggies too since he was getting a little constipated. That seemed to help. He LOVES solids. When I get him in the chair he giggles and squeals with excitement. But now in the last day or two he has really shorted his nursing time. He'll suck for a couple of minutes, then look around. Suck for a little more, then look around. He's not as serious about it as he once was, if that makes any sense. Plus he also sleeps through the night, so between this and the solids, I'm afraid he's going to kill my supply and he's not going to want to nurse any more!! I ALWAYS try to nurse him first before I give him solids, and I refuse at this point to give him any solids before noon, since my milk supply is huge. But I don't want to hold him back just because *I* love nursing so much, KWIM?
    Oh and another thing...he wants to drink from a cup too. After he kept trying to steal my cup one to many times, I put some BM in a beginner cup and he did really well with it. Of course after 5 minutes, he wanted to nurse because it just wasn't the same. LOL

So do you think I'm doing okay? I don't want to push him too fast, but he seems to be really ready for the food. But I want to BF as long as possible this time, since I didn't with my first.

Default Re: 6M old LOVES solids, I'm afraid he'll stop nursing!

You are right in that you should always offer the breast first before solids.

How often/much is he eating solids right now?

As you probably know, most of his nutrition should come from BM for the first year. He may really be enjoying solids, but that doesn't mean that you can't back off a bit to protect your supply. If you really do suspect that your supply has dimished you could spend the next couple of days doing some increased nursing. This should help bring your supply back up a bit.

You can still allow him to sit in his high-chair and enjoy some finger foods with the family (it sounds like he likes to do what the rest of you are doing!) but just avoid doing a lot of spoon-feeding of really filling foods. You'd be surprised at how satisfied some babies can be with just a couple of pieces of soft banana or sweet potato. He may just want to hang out in his high chair and try what you all are doing. So, maybe doing this will cut back on the amount of solids he is eating, keep him happy with exploration, increase your supply and allow him to still get most of his nutrition from your milk.

Do you think this is something that might work for you and him?

You mentioned that you don't want to hold him back because *you* love nursing so much. You would not be doing this, so don't worry! (I'm sure he loves nursing too!) But, as you offer more and more solids to him, you do encourage him to take less and less milk, which I don't think is your intention. So, maybe trying what I suggested above will help with this!

I`ve been going through something similar. I do not want to restrict my little guy as he loves solids also. I`ve recently been told (by well-meaning folks) that unless I give him lots of solids he will not be getting enough nutrition from bm alone. And although I know BM is the main source of nutrition, their comments still made me feel guilty. Just be strong; you are not depriving him of anything.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

oops, I posted twice...
    Last edited by Naomi1979; March 30th, 2007 at 10:38 PM.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

My first post

I just started one of my twins (almost 5 months) on cereal two nights ago. She appears to LOVE it. I, too, wonder about the effects.

Right now I've only given her the cereal (about 1 Tbsp) once in the morning and for two evenings. How long do you think this will be "enough" for her? I'd rather still have BM her primary food for another month.

I am in the same boat.... my 6 month old loved her solids. She loved seating on her high chair, being fed with a spoon with rice cereal and some vegetable. I am too concerned that she won't want to nurse. But I am still nursing 4-5 times a day, and once-twice a night. I gave her solids during her last two meals, when I know my supply is down a bit.

I will say that my lo also plays around when she nurses.... but I have starteed to isolate ourself from the rest of the house in the past few days, and it helped. I think - maybe more than wanted solids - she is becoming more and more curious and can be easily distracted.

Thanks ladies for your replies! I'm not as worried now as I was a few days ago. He seems to be loving nursing still and doing plenty of it in the morning all day, and at bedtime. And so far my milk is fine. He still LOVES getting his solids at dinnertime, but they are making him constipated now, so I'm going to try to back off. He's always been a once a week pooper...even when he was a newborn. So adding rice cereal into him hasn't helped!! I've tried oatmeal and prunes instead but it took 3 days of that to produce one hard stool.

I think I'm going to try putting him in the high chair and just letting him play with some soft, non-choking finger foods. That way he thinks he's getting a meal and he's not filling up on stuff that will make things worse. Any suggestions on what I can give him that won't make him even more constipated? There is NO way I'm going to put bananas in that belly! LOL

first i want to mention that this is a common age to get distracted by the world around them and its a hard adjustment for us the mom who used to be the center of the universe especially when the boob was out!! so a couple of sucks and then off to play i think is pretty normal.....

and....have you all checked out all the great threads on baby led feeding?? i think it happens naturally anyway, like ds now will just not be spoon fed...he only wants to do it himself....really the only thing he eats from a spoon anyway is yogurt or applesauce ...i even make oatmeal thick enough for him to pick up with his fingers
    i just bumped a thread called what are you lo's eating from a few months back.....since you all seem to be just starting solids it might be too much, but it will give you some ideas for good fingerfoods....
    Last edited by Blessedbee; April 1st, 2007 at 10:52 AM.
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
    first i want to mention that this is a common age to get distracted by the world around them and its a hard adjustment for us the mom who used to be the center of the universe especially when the boob was out!! so a couple of sucks and then off to play i think is pretty normal.....

and....have you all checked out all the great threads on baby led feeding?? i think it happens naturally anyway, like ds now will just not be spoon fed...he only wants to do it himself....really the only thing he eats from a spoon anyway is yogurt or applesauce ...i even make oatmeal thick enough for him to pick up with his fingers
    i just bumped a thread called what are you lo's eating from a few months back.....since you all seem to be just starting solids it might be too much, but it will give you some ideas for good fingerfoods....
    Im glad to hear that others are experiencing the same thing! DS is 9 months old and he doesnt nurse like he used to. How long per breast is normal at this age? DS will do maybe like 4-5 min per breast if that and then he slides off my lap to play. If I call his name and say "do you want more Nana's", then he will usually crawl back for another go around. Ds gets a finger food (usually Purely-O's) after his first nap and then eats a little with us during dinner time. I guess i too worry about my supply because he sleeps competley through the night now from about 9:30 to 8:00 with no nursing. In the morning i wake up very full so we nurse first thing and about 6 times total during the day. I just love nursing DS and find it so rewarding that i worry he will stop or I will dry up!!!

Is nursing 4-5 minutes per side not enough? Ii can hear him slow down in his gulps like hes empyting the breast.

hi, I've been a bit worried about my milk supply as well. My DD is 10 months, and in the last week has a much increased appetite, and started having breakfast (before it was just two meals a day, and she ate very little). Now it's mostly finger foods, and she is eating lots more. She still breastfeeds several times a day, but mostly during the night (probably every 2hrs, we cosleep), and during the day only in the morining, before naps twice a day, and before bedtime, and the occasional extra feed to calm her down when she's fallen down or gets upset. During the day it's extremely difficult to get her to feed unless she's tired and ready to sleep, so I can not feed her before solids, unless I give solids straight after her nap. Will this cause early weaning? Also, I'm trying to encourage her to sleep a bit better at night, but if she drops a daytime nap and night feeds, will that kill my supply? I've noticed a dip in my supply this week, first put it down to ovulation, but it hasn't come back up yet. I know you can bf a couple of times a day only, does this always work? anyone with similar experiences?