Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help: Entertaining baby while pumping

Default Help: Entertaining baby while pumping

I've been home for a month with my 28 week preemie who is now 5 weeks old corrected age. He spent 96 days in the NICU (but who's counting?). We're trying to work on breastfeeding but it's slow. I think he thinks of me as a warm, comforting pacifier. So, I'm continuing to pump. When he was in the hospital I was diligent about pumping 10 times a day and as a result my milk supply is good (we had to buy a freezer for the garage). I'm only pumping about 8 times a day now that he's home.

My problem is juggling pumping, breastfeeding, and bottle feeding not to mention finding time to wash all the associated paraphernalia, eat, nap, breathe... I don't have enough hands. My little angel insists on being held all the time. He doesn't like to be put down even to sleep. So, I try to put him in his bouncy chair so I can pump but if I don't time it right he starts crying and I have to stop in order to tend to him. All this makes me frustrated because I have to pump if I'm to keep up my milk supply but I feel as though he won't let me and then I get angry at him even though he's innocent and it's a vicious cycle...

I need advice, but even better I thank you for "listening" and giving me the opportunity to vent and perhaps find a kindred spirit or two who survived this challenge.

Thanks,

Robin

Default Re: Help: Entertaining baby while pumping

Hi Robin:
    I hear you loud and clear. You are echoing my frustrations of last summer. It sounds like you have been through a lot already with your little one. And now all of these new challenges.

My baby girl wasn't a preemie, but I understand your frustration about trying to pump while trying to entertain a baby who never wants to be put down. My dd refused to be out of my arms even for a minute during the day so I had no time to pump at all. She would never tolerate feeding off one breast and letting me pump the other at the same time either. I was at my wits end because I was going back to work and needed to build a supply. Sometimes I'd sneak in a pump or two in the wee hours of the morning before Maya was up. Perhaps you could try this?

Also-- you might want to try using a sling to carry your baby around? This may allow you a free hand to get some things done during the day.

I'm curious as to why you have to pump so much now. Does your baby have latching problems? If you can breastfeed,as opposed to bottle feed more, you'd have less to clean and less to worry about pumping.

As for the baby who never wants to be put down, I PROMISE you time will cure that. By about 6 weeks, dd would sit in her sling for a whole 15 minutes at a time. And by 8 weeks, she's sit in her seat for 45-60 minutes. I felt like I was on vacation!

One more thing--try to take time for yourself everday, even if it is only 15 minutes for a walk around the block. And try to get out in the fresh air with the baby for a stroller ride. Even my dd couldn't resist the soothing rocking of her stroller--she'd fall asleep. We'd walk for miles

Just take it one day at a time. I promise you it will get better.

Thanks so much for responding and for giving me encouragement! I'm meeting with a lactation consultant today to see if I can help my son do a better job of breastfeeding. He latches on just fine but I don't think he's sucking hard enough to get any breastmilk. He uses me as a pacifier!

I try to appreciate his clingyness and remember that this stage will not last forever and soon he'll want to be independent!

Thanks also for the reminder for me to make time for myself. The rain let up and we were able to get out for a stroller walk yesterday afternoon and it did wonders for my morale, not to mention that the little guy slept through the whole ride and then stayed asleep for a while at home!!

Take care,

Robin

Hi
    Have you tried a hands free piece for your pump? I love mine and it was only about 10.00 plus the bra. It gives me both my hands free to hold the baby or play with his rattle next to me.

Wow, I can't believe I have been pumping for 7 1/2 months now. My baby will not breastfeed, but at least he's more cooperative when I'm pumping than when I first posted a note here. He's finally old enough to hold a toy and entertain himself! The bouncy chair works wonders for me; I don't know what I'd do without it or what I'll do when he outgrows it. I never did get a hands-free bra. I figured I've managed for this long and I'm pretty good at being able to talk on the phone, write to do lists, type one-handed, and rock the baby's chair while I'm pumping that I'll just stick it out for as long as I can. One of my friends told me she has the hands free bra and it's uncomfortable. I like being able to control the pressure--gentle at first and then full suction. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Robin

Hi,
    I have many of the same problems that you originally had. My baby won't breastfeed either, and pumping was impossible about a month ago; it's since gotten a little better. I want to try to pump for him until he's a year but it seems so far away now. Did things get easier? I'm hoping that when he starts solids it might b/c he need less bm?

Quote Originally Posted by Maya's Mom

Also-- you might want to try using a sling to carry your baby around? This may allow you a free hand to get some things done during the day.
    With a little munchkin you might want to think about a moby style wrap. I felt safer with dd in there until she got a little bigger. You can make one from about 4.5 yards of cotton jersey. Just cut it in half long wise and voila! You've another for a friend!

It's a lifesaver!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...