Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting more than one meal?

Default Starting more than one meal?

My LO is 7 mos old. I have been giving her solids once at night, one kind at a time. When do I start giving her more than one solid at a time and more than one meal in a day? She went to the doc today for her 6 mos checkup (a little late) and she said I should give her 3 meals a day.

Default Re: Starting more than one meal?

I am also interested in the answer because I have an 8 month old and He is only on solids at dinner and I am not sure when to start feeding him a 2nd meal. I hate to give up a nursing session for more solids but I know I will have to eventually.

You can start adding another meal, or increasing the amount of food at the one meal, at any point. The starting "suggestion" for a few teaspoons is really to see if the baby is able to keep the food down and whether or not there are any allergic reactions. Watch for your baby's cues - they'll let you know if they want more food or not.

As for how many meals is "proper" at which age, it all depends on when you started solids and how quickly you want to drop nursings.

Three meals a day at 7 months seems a lot to me.

IMO I would start offering another meal whenever I feel like the current usual amount of nursing and solids is no longer sufficient for my lo - such as increased frequency of nursing or increased appetite for solids or even frequent waking up at night to nurse if your lo is otherwise a good sleeper.

At 10 months my lo is having one or two meals a day and she is not showing much interest in eating her solids for that matter.

HTH

Mama to Ana-Maria ~ May, 25th 2006

I wondered about this, too. I give solids whenever I remember to, which, with my 6 month old dd, isn't even daily. Some days she's interested. Other days she's not. I figure once she's able to eat mostly table foods, I'll give her something from the dinner table. Until then, once a day should be plenty.

Borislava, your daughter is precious!

I let my son let ME know when he was ready for more. For him it was between 8&9months. That's when I started to have to give him his own lunch food to fend him off of my lunch!!! So we went from one thing at dinner to a piece of fruit (like an apple slice) at lunch and sharing some yogurt AND one or TWO things at dinner. A month later we added dry cereal as "breakfast" and added another piece of fruit to lunch and crept up to two or three things for dinner. By 10 months he was eating two kinds of cereal and fruit for breakfast, 3-4things for lunch and 4-5things every night for dinner. It's a ton of work. Don't rush into it. Thinking up healthy variety so as not to get into a food rut or end up with a picky eater is challenging. So if your 7month old is still happy with one thing a day and breast milk, be ok with that. If you think you'd like to see what two things a day looks like, 7months is great time to introduce O's of some sort. They aren't messy, they count as food and they keep them busy FOREVER! Working their dexterity! Good luck!

Way too lazy for formula