Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't pump enough but supply ok

Default Can't pump enough but supply ok

For the longest time I was thinking I had a low milk supply because dd takes 3 5oz bottles @ dcp while I can only pump about 12 oz/day. DD was sick last week so she and I stayed home all week together and she always seemed satisfied after every feeding and didn't need and supplements or solid foods so now I know that there is nothing wrong with my milk supply. So now I am trying to figure out how to pump more effectively. I use an Ameda Purely Yours and pump 15-20 min 3x day and sometimes early in the morn or before bed. I have tried the Medela PIS and several others (including hospital grades) but didn't have that great of results (purely yours got same results as hospital grade). I don't have a problem with let down, all I have to do is start setting up my pump and I let down and have tried breast compressions to get more milk but still end up with the same results. I eat oatmeal every morning, drink pleantly of fluids (but not too much) and eat/exercise regularly. I have tried fenugreek but didn't have any success (as my milk supply really is fine). If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Default Re: Can't pump enough but supply ok

I'm having the same problem - I can barely pump enough to cover DD at daycare. It's frustrating! I thin kmy supply is also okay, but I can't get as much when I pump. I have been using the More Milk Special Blend available from Motherlove and seen a slight increase in my supply.

Hi amandalynn,

It sounds like you are doing fine. The issue might be the size of the bottle you are sending to daycare, not the pump. 5 oz is a big bottle. Can you send 4 3 oz bottles instead? I've seen on this site that some mothers send something like 7 2-oz bottles! (Not all of which are used every day) So your quantity may be fine, it may just need to be spaced out more during the time at daycare.

For what it's worth for my 6-month old son I send 4 4-oz bottles. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Trisha
    Hi amandalynn,

It sounds like you are doing fine. The issue might be the size of the bottle you are sending to daycare, not the pump. 5 oz is a big bottle. Can you send 4 3 oz bottles instead? I've seen on this site that some mothers send something like 7 2-oz bottles! (Not all of which are used every day) So your quantity may be fine, it may just need to be spaced out more during the time at daycare.

For what it's worth for my 6-month old son I send 4 4-oz bottles. Good luck!
    I used to send 4 4oz bottles but then tried the 8 2oz bottles and found she was happier to get 3 slightly larger feedings which actually saves 1 oz/day (3 5oz= 15oz/day, 4 4oz= 16oz/day) We are only away from each other for 9-10 hours so there really is no need for a fourth bottle (she eats @ 9, 12 & 3), I ask them not to feed after 4 so she will be hungry & ready to nurse when we get home (6am), adding more bottles would make me feel totaly defeated because she wouldn't want to nurse when we got home and I would have to pump which isn't as effective as she is.

DD is 7 months old and when she wants to eat, she wants to finish. When they stop her after every oz to burp (spits up if not burped after every oz from bottle) she gets mad until the 5th oz is done, then she is fine. DCP has cameras in room so I can log on, I though maybe she was being overfed so they started calling during feeding time so I could see for myself how she was and I agree that she prefers 5 oz bottles. Currently I make up the extra oz/bottle with water.
    Last edited by amandalynn; March 31st, 2006 at 02:44 PM.

Sorry I wasn't helpful!

I know the milk is there, I just can't figure how to get it out efficently!