Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not expressing enough milk

Default Not expressing enough milk

I am the mother of a beautiful 6 month old little girl. I work full time M-F and am away from her for about 9 hours a day. I pump at least twice a day at work, and try to pump a third time. She needs 2-3 6oz bottles while I am away, plus 2oz milk for her cereal. (Currently she is just getting 2 bottles. She is getting solids instead of a third bottle right now. I would rather have solids with her milk instead of replacing milk with solids.) I pump one side every time she nurses, I pump every morning, evening and all weekend. I am bearly getting enough milk for her. On the weekdays, I am doing well to pump 7-10oz a day. This is not a supply issue. She exclusively nurses on the weekends and has plenty of wet diapers seems satisfied. I use a medela PIS Adv. The longer I pump, the less milk I get. About 2 months ago, I was able to pump at least 12-15oz per day. I eat oatmeal every morning, I tried Fenugreek hoping that if I could boost my supply a little then I could pump more, I've tried everything that I've read. Nothing seems to help. I really don't want to have to use any formula. HELP!

Default Re: Not expressing enough milk

Ok, maybe I can be a little helpful here as I have been in the same situation. My daughter also is 6 months old and we are just starting solids. I am away from her about 9 hours a day also.

First, perhaps she doesn't need as much milk as you think. I produce about 8 to 10 ounces of milk a day at work, so I was leaving my daughter two 5 oz bottles. Then the sitter said she needed three bottles a day. I felt defeated. I knew I couldn't keep up and I hadn't banked alot of milk. I suspected that the sitter was forcing her to finish the bottles. So after reading the article below, I decided to see if my daughter would be satisfied with smaller bottles. I now leave her three 4 oz bottles a day and she seems fine. She usually only takes the two bottles so in anticipation of having to replace it I just pump extra when I can and bank it. Then if the sitter uses the third bottle I just thaw out enough to replace it the next day and tell her to use the milk that was frozen first. If she doesn't take the third bottle I rotate them so the oldest one is used first. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Second, now that she is taking solids this should ease your burden some! I started my daughter on mashed banana as her first solids recently. The sitter just mashes up a little fresh banana. She tells me that it seems to tide her over and now she almost never needs that third bottle.

Also, less milk from the bottle means more milk 'straight from the tap'. What she doesn't get while you are at work she will make up for when you get back home.
    Last edited by bethwall; March 21st, 2006 at 10:38 PM.

Another idea I had:

Are you doing bottles at night or on the weekends? If you are, dropping those bottlefeedings and nursing her exlusively during those times will boost your supply more than anything. Your baby is much more effective than your pump.

ITA with above. Nurse, nurse, nurse when ya'll are together.

Also, if your baby is taking solids, that will pick up some of slack. IMO, that's the best option over adding formula. Or, at least IME.

HTH! Hang in there!

My biggest concern is that once I run out of frozen, I won't have enough milk for her for an entire 9 hour day. If there is a weekend that is busy and I can't pump as often, then a lot of frozen is used at daycare that week. Most weekends I can pump enough to make up for what I don't pump during the week. Since she uses about 12-14oz / day and this week I'm only pumping 7oz a day, my frozen supply is depleating quickly. If I could just pump as much as she eats in a day, then I wouldn't be as concerned. I'm down to about 20oz of frozen left!

I had the exact same fear. As a matter of fact I exhausted all of my banked milk. But when I started leaving her less milk I discovered that my daughter was satisfied with less milk. I really think her sitter was forcing her to finish the bottles. As a matter of fact I have seen her do it with the other babies in her care. (Can't wait to find another source for daycare, uggh!)

I think you should try not to stress about the possiblity of running out right now and instead put a plan into action to prevent that. Just face it one day at a time. I would try, tomorrow, to leave your daughter smaller bottles and see how she does. Maybe reduce each bottle by just an ounce. That's one ounce per bottle that you don't have to pump.

Also, you could leave solids that do not require being mixed with breast milk. That's more milk you don't have to pump. You mentioned not wanting to replace your milk with solids and that was the reason you left breast milk to be mixed with the cereal. But if she doesn't consume the milk in the cereal while you are at work she will make up for it by nursing more when you come to get her. That means more time at the breast which means a boost to your supply.

you could also try mixing cereal with water or juice, to save the ebm. or (my ped ok'd this check with yours first), i mix oatmeal cereal (baby) with soy yogurt and feed that to dd. I was also ok'd on mixing soy milk or rice milk with the cereal.

I have cut the milk from cereal and am now just concentrating on getting enough milk for her two bottles. This week at daycare Emma is still acting hungry after she is finished with her 6 oz bottle. Her ped says she only needs milk 4 times per day. (She is currently getting milk 5 times per day) I am considering cutting one bottle at daycare so she will only get one and fill in her other meals at daycare with solids. That way, she can have a larger bottle at daycare and still get 3 nursing sessions with me per day. My only concern is that sometimes her evening nursing sessions don't always seem like two good sessions. I'm afraid that she won't be getting enough milk a day. And at 6 months old, this should be her primary source of nutrition.

Brandy

Thank you for your post Beth - I'm having trouble replacing what DD eats during the day too (she's 2.5 months). This gives me hope that we can keep this up!